chapter seventeen

x CHAPTER SEVENTEEN x
Running from the future in the past

x CHAPTER SEVENTEEN xRunning from the future in the past

~<x>~

Josie stepped out of the shower, a towel wrapped tightly around her with a weary sigh. After Erik had pulled her out of the dark subway tunnel, the pair had checked into the nearest hotel to lay low as Erik's head was still split from his fight with Hank which he spared no detail in retelling to her once she had gotten the keys from the woman at the front desk for their room.

They had gotten a room with one king sized bed, agreeing to pretend to be a married couple on their honeymoon so as not to raise suspicion. He was to take the couch and she was to have the bed. Erik had been impressed with her language skills but she had waved it off as a piece of her old life rearing its ugly head.

Unfortunately, all of Josie's clothes were left on the plane along with the rest of the contents in her suitcase. With a groan of regret and exasperation, Josie opened the bathroom door, peeking her head out to look at Erik. The scene before her was one she wasn't expecting.

Erik sat looking at a film reel projected through a glass cup onto the wall in front of him while he stitched the back of his head together. At the sound of the door, Erik turned to glance at her before turning his attention back to the film roll on the wall. "Feeling better?"

"Sure! Who doesn't love showering just to sleep in the same clothes they spent the day in." Josie replied sarcastically, leaning against the desk beside him.

With a roll of his eyes he nodded over at his shirt drying on a hanger. "You can wear that if it'll stop your complaints."

She waved him off in lieu of answering and looked over her shoulder at the film squares he flipped through. "Are those the sentinels?"

He hummed in reply, wincing as the needle behind his head slid through the tender skin.

"Here," she started, "let me help."

Erik gave her a skeptical look. Now it was Josie's turn to roll her eyes at him.

"It'll be faster if I do it. I promise not to hurt you... much." she smirked after finishing her sentence and he grumbled something in German.

Her response was swift, something along the lines of "don't be an ass" in the same language. He whirled around to look at her.

"Yes, I speak german too so watch your mouth." she quipped before she turned his head so he was facing away from her, his smile hidden.

"I've missed you." he hummed confidently.

A comfortable silence filled the room. Josie tried to be as gentle as she could as she stitched his shallow gash while Erik flipped through blueprint after blueprint.