Chapter 3

"C'mon Freen! The whole gang is ready to go!" Saint encouraged as Freen looked desperately around for an excuse not to go. "I think I'll skip out on this hunt, I have... plans." Saint looked at her in annoyance and crossed his arms. "Plans? Really? With who?" Freen rubbed the back of her neck and shrugged. "Nobody, I just had planned to go out." Saint rolled his eyes and sucked his teeth. "Let me guess... alone. Standing on top of a bridge or a building and watching people is not plans and it's definitely not important enough to ditch your friends."

Freen clenched her fist knowing she was inevitably going to lose this battle. "I just need some time alone." She walked towards the staircase leading to her room but was cut off by Saint grabbing her arm. She tensed up for a moment not being used to the physical contact but quickly relaxed seeing she was in no danger. "Freen. Look at me." She turned slowly to look at him and tried avoiding his eyes but relented seeing he was not giving up on making eye contact with her. "You know we love you, you are family. You've spent hundreds of years alone, spend some time with your family. We need you too."

Freen felt a bit of guilt ostracizing them and secluding herself knowing that they would do anything for her. She rarely felt human emotions after so many years of being a vampire and surrounding herself in solitude. It was rare for her to have feelings but it sometimes happened, mostly when something hit her deep. She thought of her clan and figured she should show some support and join them. "Fine. For Nam." She exhaled as Saint smiled a big cheesy smile. Although he also had been a vampire for many years, Saint never seemed to have lost his spirit of life. Something that Freen envied of him and the rest of the clan. For her things were different, things seemed mundane and repetitive. Life felt gray and dry and no matter how many years passed and how many lives she lived, her life was still meaningless.

Saint patted her back hard in enthusiasm and grabbed her shoulders as Freen flinched. "That's my girl! Now come on, it's getting late." They walked to the door heading outside and took a moment to admire the full moon. The white light beaming from it illuminated the dark forest. They looked at each other before disappearing into the forest in supersonic speed. They ran deep into the forest and came up on a small clearing. The stopped next to a small river and listened quietly. They took in the surroundings watching and listening for any animal sounds around. They looked at each other and Saint whispered, "They are coming up now." A few seconds later a posee of five other vampires appeared in front of them.

"Freen! You made it!" Nam sped to hug her, instantly wrapping her arms around her tightly. Freen flinched at the action tensing up immediately but relaxed a bit into the hug. "Hey Nam." She lightly patted Nam's back waiting for her release. "Where you been? I've missed you." She asked pouting as she pulled away. "Oh, you know. Around." She side eyed Freen but decided not to push her. "You need to stop by more frequently!" Heng cut in pulling Freen in for a quick bro hug. Freen nodded smiling slightly and wishing for a change of topic. "We're glad to see you friend." Faye said smiling and giving her a quick hug. "You're looking good Freen." Yoko said softly smiling and waving at her. Freen waived once and smiled curtly. Heidi went up to Freen and cupped her cheek looking at her kindly. "It's nice to have you back together with everyone sweetie." Freen smiled and nodded in gratitude as they all gathered to face Saint.

"All right enough of the sappy love fest, let's get hunting. Who's ready to feast?!" Everyone cheered and looked at each other in camaraderie. It had been a few weeks since Freen last hunted. She could go up to a month without feeding if needed but refrained from starving herself due to Saint's strict rules. Saint was like the father of the pack. He took care of everyone and made sure everyone was safe. His wife Heidi was like the mother caring and supporting everyone, especially Saint. They made sure everyone followed the rules to avoid getting in trouble or being outed as vampires to the humans. It was hard work, but they were great as if they were made to be parents. They had been vampires longer than anyone in the group and sort of adopted them into their own makeshift family throughout the years.