Chapter 15

Becky walked out to the patio after breakfast and took a seat on the sofa outside. It was a chilly morning as the autumn trees now began to lose their leaves as the winter chill began to settle in. This was her favorite time of the year when the cold wind began to pick up and she could settle in with a hot cup of cocoa and watch the leaves fall. She smiled as she watched the squirrels run from tree to tree looking for food to store before hibernation. She had offered to help Freen with the dishes but Freen had refused and was really making sure she was well taken care of.

 She had offered to help Freen with the dishes but Freen had refused and was really making sure she was well taken care of

"Mind if I join?" Freen asked as she handed a warm cup of tea to her. Becky shook her head taking the offering and brought it close to her face for warmth. Freen smiled placing a warm blanket over both of them as she took a seat. She could see Becky was shivering and she immediately relaxed as the blanket enveloped her fully. Freen didn't care for warmth but wanted the excuse to be close to her and have their legs touch. She looked over at Becky who seemed content and decided to just bask in the moment. "Do you have family?" Becky asked suddenly as she continued to look at the trees. Freen thought for a moment and shook her head. "Ummm... not really. I have people I consider like family." Becky remained quiet and hesitantly asked. "Can I ask about your parents?" Freen thought for a moment and realized she hadn't thought about her parents in hundreds of years.

"I can't remember them." Becky looked over at her perplexed. "What happened to them?" Freen tried to think but not much came to mind. After you turn into a vampire you began to loose memories and the essence of your past human form. As much as she tried she couldn't remember their faces or names. "I guess you can say I never knew them." Becky couldn't stop wondering how someone could not remember their parents or try to figure out what happened to them. "Were you adopted?" Freen looked over at her and watched her curious eyes. She forgot what it felt like to be so curious about others and life itself. "I guess you can call it that." She decided to offer a little bit of her self to Becky's curiosity.

"My past is hazy and I can't remember most of my childhood. I do know that I was young and scared when who I now consider my family found me. I was in pretty bad shape when my older sister Nam and her husband Heng found me. They and my now parents, Saint and Heidi, took pity on me and saved my life. They allowed me to tag along with them and eventually they considered me a part of the family. They have been there for me ever since along with some of my other siblings." Becky felt sympathy for her knowing it must have been hard for her growing up alone. She understood now why Freen was an introvert and did not socialize much. Her trauma made her self guarded and protective of helpless girls like her past self. Freen turned to look at Becky and quickly looked away seeing the big sympathy eyes she was giving her. She sat up straight and tightened her jaw giving off a strong stature.

Becky saw through it and gently placed her hand in Freen's lap under the blanket in support. Freen stiffened as she felt the warm hand gently rub her knee. "I'm sorry. Maybe I shouldn't have asked." Freen relaxed and smiled softly. "It's okay. I may not have had the average family but I have a great family." Becky smiled and nodded. "How many siblings do you have?" Freen wondered if she was sharing too much. She never cared to sit and talk to anyone about her personal life but this time it felt different. "Well Nam is the oldest and her husband Heng is like a big brother. They are silly and love to joke around but they are also very caring, almost like a second pair of parents. Then there's Faye... let me not tell you about Faye. She is... special." Becky laughed making Freen smile. "Why?" Becky asked giggling. "Faye is a wanna be player. She acts like she is the hottest and sexiest person alive who has all the girls but in reality she is whipped." Becky giggled. "Whipped?"