Chap 7 : Dad ?

Things not changed that much in nine years. Tim was still sergent at Mid-Wilshire. He was on therapy for two years, it helped him, but a part of him won't heal. He missed her everyday, he learnt to live with it. Ellie obviously grew up, an eight years old girl.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Tim was riding with his new rookie today when his phone rang.

T - Bradford, What ? Be there in 10. Boot, Shaw memorial now, and fast.
B - Yes sir.

Tim took a deep breath, it's gonna be ok. Nothing serious. Ten minutes after, the shop parked in front the hospital.

T - Wait here boot.

Tim get out of the shop, and on his way to the entrance he sent a text to Angela.

From Tim to Angela:
" I'm at Shaw Memorial, Ellie got hurt at school. I take the rest of day off. Could you advise watch commander pls? "

Tim was now at the ER front desk. He asked for his daughter and the nurse gave him the room number. Being in this hospital, for an emergency brought him bad memories. He was looking for her room when he spotted her face. She was on a bed, alone. Her eyes were red. She cried. He entered in the room, her face lit up a bit when she saw him.

E - Daddy..
T - Hey kiddo, i'm here.

He kissed her forehead and hugged her right after. She had blood on her face, and ice on her right hand.

T - What happened?
E - I was playing with my friend, i was standing on the little wall, and, i felt on my head and hand. When i open my eyes i saw blood, and my fingers were painfull.
T - Are you still in pain ?
E - No, the nurse gave me something
T - You have to be careful next time ..
E - I know, i'm sorry, but it was fun at the begining!
T - Yeah and at the end look where you are.. Now you've got stitches on your beautiful face
E - Like you dad !

Doctor knocked at the door.

DR - Your daughter is fine even if she broke 2 fingers in her fall. She got stitches on her foreheard too, no sign of concussion for now. She can be discharge now. But, if she gets dizzy, or if she throws up, bring her back. No sports for at least 1 month. I prescribe some painkillers for her fingers only if she's in pain. Be careful kiddo, i don't want to see you again here, understood ? Have a nice day officer.
T - Thanks doc! You are ready  ?
E - Yes, ready to go.

He helped her to stood up, took her bagpack and went outside right to the shop.

E - Are we going home in your police car daddy ?
T - Yes, but we are going to the station first, i need to change. Get in !

She loved riding in her father police's car. She was admirating him for so many reasons. The car parked at the station 15 minutes after. He took her hand and entered in the station. It was home for her. Everyone knew her and she knew everyone there. They stopped by Angela desk.

E - Auntie look at my scar !!
A - Let me see that. You are such a Bradford!
E - Why you are saying that ?
A - Ask your dad... He got a subscription at Shaw Memorial.
T - Ang' please... Can you have an eye on here while i'm in locker room?
A - Of course
E - Auntie ? Can you show me again my mum picture please ?

At the station, there was a wall. On that wall, there were pictures of Police Officer who died during Duty. Lucy was on that wall. Angela nodded and brought her in front of that wall. Ellie was looking at her mum picture with teary-eyed, she took Angela's hand right away. Angela looked at her.

A - What's wrong honey ?
E - I want my mommy back. 

The girl was now crying in Angela's arms. Ellie knew why her mum was on that wall. She knew the all story. Tim made sure that Lucy was still a part of Ellie's life even if she was not here anymore. And sometimes it was hard for the young girl, because she loved someone she never met... Tim joined them, confused. Angela looked at him and showed him the wall. It was one of those days. He wiped her daughter tears.

T - Ice cream ?
E - Hm hm
T - C'mon kiddo. Call you later Ang'

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

They were sitting at the beach, double chocolate ice cream for her, Vanilla for him.

E - Dad ?
T - Yes ?
E - Did you miss mummy ?
T - Every day kiddo
E - Me too.. but.. How could i miss her if i have no memories with her ?
T - Because she was your mum, she put her love in your heart.
E - Dad ?
T - Hm ?
E - Why are you alone ?
T - What do you mean ?
E - You don't have a girlfriend ..
T - Oh, well it's complicated..
E - Why ?
T - Because, your mum was the love of my life and i don't want to have someone else in my life
E - But one day i will be a grown-up, and i will move from home, you will be alone and i don't want you to be alone in our big house...
T - You won't move from home before 40 years old honey. Finish your ice cream

She was to clever for this world. It broke her heart to have this discussion. Maybe she was ready for that box Lucy made. They went back home, had their night routine, he kissed her good night. " I love you dada " " Love you too boot ". He switched off the light and closed her door. He went toward his kitchen and dialed Angela's number.

A - Open you door blondie.

Of course she was here. He served 2 cups of coffee and they sat outside in the backyard.

T - What did she tell you when you were with her at the station ?
A - " I want my mummy back "
T - She asked me How could she miss her if she have no memories with her. Did i do something wrong with that?
A - No Tim, of course not. She's questioning and it's normal. She needs answer because everyone arround has a mother or at least two parents. She's growing up, and she understand more things.
T - I think i'm going to give her the box. Or maybe just the USB stick with the video.
A - It's a good start, did you watch it ?
T - No never .. Oh, and she asked me why i didn't have a girlfriend.
A - Yes Timothy, why ?
T - You know why
A - What did you say to her ?
T - That her mum was the love of my life and i didn't want someone else in my life. She was afraid of when she will left home i will be alone...
A - You know Tim, it's been 9 years. Meeting someone doesn't mean you have to forget Lucy and the life you had with her. You deserve to be happy, to be loved and to love someone again
T - I know, but i just can't
A - Why ?
T - Because i'm still in love with her. 

She looked at him. He was still deeply in love with Lucy. After nine years without her, he was still not ready to love someone else. Maybe he will never be ready. She stayed a bit more before she went back to her home. Tim laid down in his bed, watching the picture of him & Lucy on his bedside table. " She's a good kiddo you know... We miss you " he said. In the middle of the night, his bedroom door opened, Ellie was in front of him.

E - Nightmare dad..
T - Come here..

He opened his arms and Ellie came into his bed to cuddle. He knew it won't last forever. One day she won't need him anymore when she will have nightmares. She fell asleep against him while he was playing with her hair. 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
27/05/2024 : Hey everyone, new chapter. Ellie grew up. What do you think ? Comment and vote it helps :) Hope you liked it. :) xx