Chap 10 : They did it.

Tonight was her 18th birthday. It was nothing big, just the loved ones. Everyone was in the backyard. Tim was sitting next to Angela, a beer in the right hand, looking at his daughter.

A - Today more than ever, she looks like Luce...
T - In every way.. She grown up too fast... Yesterday she was my little baby and now...
A - Now she's dating boys !
T - Don't want to hear about it.
A - She's an amazing woman, you know that ? You did good with her
T - I tried.. She was a tough teen
A - Like father like daughter.

They laugh. She was like him too, in so many ways. She was not a baby anymore. She was a young and independant adult. She choose to study Law in UCLA. She didn't want to leave LA, it was her home, the place where she felt safe. She won't admit it, but she didn't want to leave her father too. Their bond was so strong. She needed him as much as he needed her. 

Everyone left around 11pm. She had a lot of love, lot of presents too. She was over the moon. Everything was perfect, it was just family tonight. And it was all she needed. After he cleaned up a bit, Tim went to his bedroom, and took the box Lucy made and a little something. He put his 18th letter inside and went to Ellie room. She was old enough now. He knocked at the door. " Come in dad ".

T - You have a minute ?
E - Hm hm
T - You have fun tonight ?
E - It was perfect dad; Thank you.
T - Mum and I have something for you..
E - Mum ?
T - Remember when you were eight or nine, i gave a memory stick? Well, it came from that box. Your mum made it for you when you were born, just in case you know.. I gave you that memory stick because your were looking for some memories with her, you needed something. So kiddo, inside that box, you will find more memories from her, from us before she died. She left you letters, things, photos. It's all yours now. And every year since then, when it was you birthday, i wrote you a letter and put them inside too with some photos, you know just in case too. Happy birthday Ells.

She smiled when he gave her the box. It was heavy. She didn't know what to say, she just hugged him. That box was the most precious thing she had.

T - And this, is for you too.

He gave her a little box. She was surprised. She opened it carefully. It was a ring. It was that ring.

T - That ring had a story. When your mum was my rookie she was abducted. I found her because of that ring. That day i realized i was falling in love with her. Since then, she always wore it, like a lucky charm. And well, it belongs to you now.

Tears were running down her face. She put the ring on, and looked at her dad.

E - Thank you dad. For all of this. I love you.
T - I love you too
E - Dad ?
T - Yeah ?
E - I need to tell you something.
T - Go on..
E - You know, i'm supposed to study Law in UCLA in two month... But what if i've got something else in my mind ? What if i wanted to do, learn something else ?

He looked at her, surprised. He gave her a safe look. She took a deep breath.

E - I wanna be like you and mum. I want to be a Police officer. I want to make the difference. I want to protect my city, you. I can't stop thinking of that for years. But i was sure you won't allowed me to do this because of mum..
T - You really want this ?
E - Yes..
T - Well. You know you are too young for now. You have to wait until you are 20. So hear me, go to UCLA, learn law for two years, and when the time will come, i will help you. Studying Law will help you everyday to do the right thing. What about that ? You were wrong about not telling me before now. You can do everything you want.
E - Sounds perfect to me dad. Thank you. 

He kissed her on the cheek and got out of her room. Before he closed her door, he looked at her.

T - Ells ? I'm proud of you.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

He put some flowers on Lucy's grave. He sat down next to her and started to talk with her. It was around 2 weeks after Ellie's birthday.

T - Her birthday was perfect. I gave her the box and your ring. You want to know something ? Ells wants to be a police officer, can you believe it ? She told me she wanted to be like us. She wanted that since a long time apparently. She was just afraid of my reaction. In fact, i'm so proud. Proud of her decision. You know she's too young for now, so she will study Law in UCLA for two years, and then... I will help her. Don't freak out, she will be perfect. Nearly 18 years ago, you died Luce... It's easier now, it's still hurting me in so many way, i will always be in love with you with us, but it's easier. And no, i'm not dating anyone anymore. The only time i tried was a fiasco. Maybe one day it will come to me, but, no one will ever remplace you. I have to go babe, i have a whole team to supervise as I am watch commander now... See you in my dreams. Love you.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Ellie went to UCLA for two years as she promised. Tim helped her for her application in LAPD program. She went to the academy. She did it. Her father was there when she was graduated from LAPD. Now she had to improve herself as a police officer. And one of her dream came true. She was assigned to Mid-Wildshire, as her mother and father. She knew it won't be the easiest way to star. Her father was her watch commander. She knew he won't be gentle with her, he won't be her father at work. He will certainly be a pain in the ass, but it didn't matter. She did it.

First day. She was in the locker room. Some of them saw her name in the badge and knew she was Tim's daughter. She tried to avoid the looks and got out toward roll call. She stopped in front of that wall. The wall this Lucy photo on it. Angela stood up next to her.

A - She will be damn proud of you officer
E - Thank you Captain.
A - I am too.

Angela smiled and let Ellie alone. She took a deep breath and went to roll call. She sat at the first table. Tim came, and started his speech.

T - All right, all right. Settle down. Settle down. So, okay, we got some new blood this morning. Get up. After six months together in the Academy, you've earned the right to be here. But you'll have to prove yourself to stay. The way we do things matters. Protocol and tradition are the metal from which every cop in this city is forged. Understand?That being said, it's my pleasure to welcome you to the FTO program. State your name and badge numbers.

First a young man stood up, gave the information Tim asked for and then it was Ellie's turn.

E - Bradford, Ellie. Badge number 43567.

It was silent in the room. Everyone knew now who she was. " Be safe out there everyone ". Ellie stood up, and introduce herself to her new TO. Her first steps. He was observing her when Angela joined him.

A - She will be fine.
T - I know.
A - Did you threaten her TO ?
T - No, just a small talk. 

At the same moment, Ellie and her TO got out of the room. Tim looked at her with pride in his eyes. And when he saw her wearing the war bag, it remainded him Lucy's first day as a rookie. Back in his office, he looked at the picture of him and Lucy. " She did it " he said... Yes, she did.

The end.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
01/06/2024 : That was the last chapter of this story. Thank you. Thank you so much.

The song i choose was the perfect one for the all story. I really hope you liked it. You can still read my stories on " Chenford OS - Short stories ".

And maybe i will find time to write another " long " one. See you there ! And, one last time : Vote and comment it helps. Take care. xx