Chapter - 17

(ICARUS'S POV)

I managed to sneak into House of Atticus’s domain by joining a group of merchants. Their domain is certainly one of the most magnificent I've ever seen. I discreetly take a round around their mansion to spot any loopholes. I found a blind spot on the south side.

I retreat and roam around the area. The prosperity of the land far exceeds average. I head to a tavern to eat. As soon as I enter, the lively chatter of people fills my ears. I wonder if I'm wrong about Lord Atticus. Since I've come this far, I might as well see for myself.

As I'm eating, a drunk old man approaches me, “Ya new here?” His words are slurring. “Yes, I've just come today,” I responded calmly.

“Yer a fine young man. What do ya do?” He asks curiously as he slaps my back playfully.

“I'm a wool merchant,” I look at his antics, feeling amused.

“Married?” He looks at me scrutinizingly. “Not yet,” he grins and pats my back, “Ya know, I got a good daughter. She can cook and clean well. She'll take good care of yer home,” I chuckle at his attempt at trying to set me up with his daughter. I pay the owner his dues for the food and turn to the old man, “See you around. I hope you find someone good for your daughter,” I say as I head out of the tavern.

I head to my destination. After a while of timing the movements of the guards, I finally found the perfect time. I carefully go in when the two guards cross the east wall and quickly climb the tree. Then I wait till they go for another round.

I jump to the railing and get a footing. I reach the outside of her window and peek inside. I look around, trying to spot her in the darkness. She's laying on the farthest corner of the bed, facing the opposite side. I lightly tap on the window, she stirs awake and turns towards me.

“Wh…who's there?” She asks cautiously, “Lily, it's me, open the window,” I reassure her. She slowly gets up and limps to the window, her eyes widened as she sees me, “Your Highness…” before she can finish, I get inside the room and close the window, not wanting the guards to notice.

I turn towards her, my eyes fall on her bruised lip, “I apologise for intruding but I wanted to check on you. What happened to you? Why are you limping?” I ask, feeling a rush of concern.

She darts her eyes away and hesitates, “Your Highness, you shouldn't be here,” she tries to avoid the questions.

I grip her shoulders and turn her towards me, “Answer me,” I lift her chin up, looking into her eyes, “Did he hurt you?”

She tries to pull away but I tighten my grip, “Tell me. Does he hurt you?”

“It is between me and my husband, please remember what the Lord said. You shouldn't involve yourself with married women,” she backs away, my eyes falling to her bandaged wrists. I pull her close, I can see the fear in her eyes, “Did he hurt you on the night of the ball?” I ask her with a strict look. She slowly nods her head and I can't help but wrap my arms around her in a comforting embrace.

“Don't be afraid. I..I didn't think that my carelessness would make you end like this,” I hold her close, cradling her head in my arms.

“Your Highness, it'll simply worsen if he finds out about your visit. I do not wish to anger him further,” she sighs and goes to a crib, rocking it gently. I look down at the crib and find a little child asleep.

“Is it your child?”

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

(RAYA'S POV)

I get a little startled by his question but nod after a few seconds. I keep my gaze low, wondering if he'll leave now. I want to call out to him, to save me. But I know it's futile. This is my battle to fight. I cannot trust or rely on anyone.

He slowly approaches the crib and looks down at Eryx. I look up at him, hoping that he'd just be disappointed and leave. But I see an adoring look in his eyes as he looks down at my child, “He looks just like you,” he says with a smile.

He gets on his knees before me and looks up at me. “Are you afraid for your and your child's safety?” He takes my hand and gives it a firm squeeze, “Lily, I can protect you.”

“I'm not some damsel in distress, your Highness,” I take a deep breath, “This is my fight. I cannot drag you into this and potentially put you under the risk,” I say, feeling distressed. I don't want anyone else to get hurt because of me.

He cups my cheeks and pulls me close, “Lily, I'm not saying I want to fight for you. But allow me to be your ally in this journey to freedom. I desire nothing more than seeing a beautiful and genuine smile on your face.”

“Let go of your fears and find yourself. I believe there's no one stronger than the person who stands up after falling over and over again. Allow me to be your companion,” he says looking deep into my eyes and steps back, heading towards the window.

“Why? Why are you doing this for me?” I ask hesitantly, why's he willing to go so far for a stranger?

Right before jumping out of the window, he turns and says with a smile,

“Her eyes were icy moons, casting a serene glow that lit the darkest paths of my heart…”

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Thanks for reading!!! I hope everyone's enjoying!!!