Chapter - 23

(ICARUS'S POV)

As she took a step back, I felt a pang in my heart. But I understand, she needs time to understand I mean no harm to her. I'm willing to wait for her, however long it takes.

I'll prove myself over and over again, till my affection gets through her…

She's been hurt, it reflects in her eyes. I wish to hold her close and say everything will be fine. My soul yearns to protect her, yet I can't. I need to earn her trust. I let out a deep sigh once she leaves, thinking about her icy blue eyes that hold so much pain, sadness and fear.

I head to my office and go through some internal affairs. Father is getting old, hence I've chosen to take up most of his responsibilities. As I was looking through the documents, Damien comes in and bows, “Your Highness, I've retrieved the letters.”

I take the letters from him, there's only five letters and they're really brief. The content isn't anything of interest, but what catches my eyes is the unique seal that resembles a Raven.

A seal like that must be custom made. I look up at Damien, “Take this. I know it's a hard task. But I need you to investigate who made this seal,” I say expectantly, he's the only one I can trust with this task.

“As you wish, your Highness. But I have a request to make,” my brows furrow at his words and I look up at him, “What request?”

“I need you to stay safe. I won't be able to shadow you while I'm investigating this. You're in a dangerous position right now. We cannot afford to have a repeat of that day,” he speaks calmly, with a determined tone.

I smile at his words, my worries dissipating, “You worry too much. But I'll keep your request. I'll be careful while you investigate this.”

He nods and leaves. Damien has always been a brother figure to me. If it wasn't for him, I might not even be alive right now. I return to my work.

As I laid in bed that night, all I could think about were her hesitant eyes. They looked lost, yet so beautiful. It's as if they're capable of holding the vast sky in those beautiful icy blue depths.

"Her eyes, a riveting icy blue, held the vastness of the sky—boundless and endlessly mesmerising, as if every glance promised a journey to the heavens.”

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

(RAYA'S POV)

It's the beginning of a new day, I feel exhausted yet I get ready to visit the Empress. The carriage moves at a gentle pace, Eryx is nuzzled into my chest peacefully. We reach the gates of the Royal Castle after a while.

As I walk down the hallway, everything starts seeming more familiar. I get led into her chamber and bow respectfully, “Greetings, your Majesty.”

She greets me with a smile, “Greetings. How is the little butterfly doing?” She looks at Eryx enthusiastically.

I chuckle at her nickname for him, “He's indeed doing well.” She gives a smile of relief, “I'm glad the little gentleman is doing well.”

“It makes me happy to see you care for him,” she smiles and pats me on the head, “Dear, you're a lovely young lady. If I had a daughter, I'd love her to be like you.”

Her kindness makes me feel at ease, “Have you had your breakfast, your Majesty?”

She nods her head, “I suppose we should start our work for the day.” Her maid hands me a stack of documents. I sit beside her Majesty as we go through the details together, revising and discussing the better options.

We finish our work by afternoon and she takes a deep breath, “Done for the day. Dear, please take these to the Crown Prince.”

“As you wish, your Majesty,” I get up and start walking down the hall. I spot a guard and decide to ask him for directions.

“Um…Sir, may I have the directions to the Crown Prince's office? The Empress has asked me to deliver him some documents?” I ask in a gentle tone.

“Of course, my Lady. Allow me to lead you there,” the guard says enthusiastically and directs me to his office. Once we reach there, he bows and leaves quietly.

I knock on the door, feeling nervous after our last interaction. “Come in,” I peek through the door, he seems to be focused on some work as he looks down at what seems to be a letter. I approach him with quiet steps, my eyes falling on a unique seal imprinted on the paper. I decided to not intrude and look away.

He breaks out of his trance as I clear my throat, his eyes jolting up to mine, his eyes soften as he flashes me a charming smile, “Lily, such a pleasant surprise. What brought you to my office today?”

“Her Majesty told me to deliver these to you,” I handed him the documents, “Has something been bothering you? You look tense,” I ask out of curiosity.

“Just playing cat and mouse with a criminal, Dear,” he says seriously, but the next moment his tone changes to a teasing one, “Why do you look as if you're worried about me? Does it upset you to see me tense?”

My cheeks heat up slightly, “It's nothing as such. I was simply curious,” I mumble hastily and he chuckles at my behaviour.

“Mother seems to be quite fond of you. She was talking about how great of a help you are,” he teases me more as my cheeks turn red. “It's nothing. I'm simply doing what I'm told.”

He stands up, towering over me, he slightly bends forward, our faces inches apart as he tugs at a ribbon in my hair and whispers, “Don't sell yourself short, Lily. I know you're capable of so much more and you deserve more than you're getting.”

I should look away, but those pools of molten gold pull me in as I get lost in his gaze. “You're so beautiful, just like a lily.”

From his demeanour I can guess that he's not touching me because he is respecting my decision. I can feel my heart flutter as he keeps looking at me with those adoring eyes.

I wish to feel the warmth of his touch again, but I'm afraid to touch him. I finally manage to tear myself away from him. “I should return by her Majesty's side,” I blurt out, shying away from his gaze.

I respectfully bow and start making my way out when he calls out,”Lily!” I turn around with a questioning expression.

He smirks at me and recites,

"In the tender embrace of delicate beauty, we find the gentle whispers of nature's grace, echoing the symphony of life's fleeting moments.”

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Thank you for supporting me till here!!!

You guys motivate me to keep writing!!! Thanks a lot!!! 🌸🩷🌸

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––