Chapter - 13

The deafening silence gets broken by the sound of boots clicking on the marble floor. The unmistakable red hair flows beautifully as a tall muscular man enters. My mother once told me about the prince. The red hair of the Castors he inherited from the Empress. Mother told me that he passed away due to a carriage incident. Was it all a lie?

My thoughts get disrupted as a deep voice rumbles throughout the hall, “I thought we were celebrating over here. Why is everyone quiet like it's someone's funeral?” He smirks as he gazes around the crowd, his voice is both authoritative and playful.

His Majesty comes down and pats his shoulder, “Welcome back, Son. Your Mother and I missed you a lot. Today is a day of celebration. The Crown's Jewel has returned.”

Turning to the crowd, his Majesty gives one over to everyone and declares, “I shall explain the cause of Icarus's disappearance later,” the servants serve the wines to all and his Majesty raises his cup, “Let the celebration begin!”

Everyone follows his instructions and mingles about, pushing the questions to the back of their heads. 

After a while, it's time for the dances. His Majesty looks at His Highness Icarus gleefully and says, “Since this ball is held to welcome you, why don't you start the dances by choosing your first partner for the night. We have many beautiful young ladies present tonight.”

“If you say so,” he looks around, gazing at the crowd until his gaze falls on me. He slowly approaches my table and stands before me, extending his arm. He politely asks, “May I have this dance, my Lady?”

My gaze instinctively goes to Lord Caius, the expression on his face certainly didn't seem friendly, but it is considered improper to decline a royal. Hence I take his hand and stand up, “Your Highness, it'd be my pleasure.”

He guides me to the centre of the ballroom as the song starts. The feeling of his hand on my waist sends a shiver down my spine, afraid of my husband's reaction. I try to maintain proper distance to not anger the Lord.

“My Lady, why do you seem so anxious?” I get startled by his question but quickly regain my composure, “I didn't expect you to ask me to dance with you.”

“And why is that? You're a gorgeous young Lady,” he whispers tantalisingly. I feel my cheeks heat up under his gaze, “There are many beautiful ladies present tonight.”

“Well no one caught my eyes like you,” he whispers in a low seductive voice. I try to spot the Lord from the corner of my eye, but it seems he went out.

“Are you looking for someone?” He asks curiously, I shake my head, “No one in particular.”

I look up at his Highness. His striking hair, chiselled jaw and those beautiful golden eyes certainly make him one of the most handsome men in the land. There's a large scar running from his forehead down to his cheek, but it only seems to add to his mysterious aura.

He gazes deep into my eyes, the intensity of his gaze doesn't allow me to look away. Once the dance is over, I quickly leave the dance floor and head for the balcony for a breather.

I take deep breaths, trying to calm my nerves. I sat alone for a while, enjoying the night breeze.

His Highness joins me after a while and sits down on my opposite, “Why did you run off after our dance? Was I a bad dance partner?” He teases me.

“Of course not, you're a wonderful dancer. I came out for some fresh air,” I replied politely.

“May I know your name?” He asks abruptly, “Raya Lily,” I whisper out. A lady is not allowed to use surnames for her surname changes based on circumstances.

“Lily,” the name rolls off his tongue smoothly as he smiles, “Lily suits you. May I call you Lily?”

“If you wish so, Your Highness,” I maintain a polite approach.

“No need to be so formal with me, Lily. I'd much rather listen to you calling me by my first name,” he says reassuringly and thinks for a second, “Lily, which house are you representing?”

“The House of Atticus,” I notice him stiffening visibly, “I don't recall them having a daughter.”

“That's because she's not a daughter of the household, but the Lady,” I freeze listening to Lord Caius speaking up from behind me.

He gets close to me and takes my hand, “Your Highness, Raya is my wife,” he makes me stand up, “It'd be better for you to not indulge with married women,” his grip tightens around my wrist.

“We shall take our leave now,” he drags me along with him, his fingers digging into my skin as he practically throws me inside the carriage.

He grips my chin and pulls me close, “You still haven't learned to keep your legs closed. How many times do I have to warn you? Stop behaving like a filthy harlot who sleeps with any man that approaches her,” he spits out venomously.

I don't bother trying to defend myself, he never listens. The carriage rides off into the night sky as the atmosphere eventually calms down.

The wind feels like a soothing balm on all the wounds I'm hiding in my soul…

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Thanks for reading!!!