Chapter 23

Yunlan confidently threw open the tavern door and boldly strode in as if he owned the place, it was the best way to hide his discomfort by showing arrogance, followed by Shen Wei who walked in quietly with his head down. They were like chalk and cheese, two opposites but for different reasons and no one dared to approach them because of the contrast in their characters. The tavern wasn't overly noisy but it was lively, and Yunlan chose a table at the side of the room to give them the chance to listen into several conversations, even though Wei didn't need to hear what they were saying. If he concentrated, he could hear what they were thinking which was more informative.

Thankfully it was table service because Yunlan felt uneasy about leaving Wei sitting alone, several interested people were watching them, but at last he managed to attract the waiter's attention who came over to take their order. He ordered a carafe of water with his wine which allowed Wei to look as if he was also enjoying a drink and from a distance in the dim lighting, no one could tell the difference.

Most of the conversations they could hear were about markets, except for one of the more relaxed customers who loudly expressed his opinions on local news, especially the murder of the prince. The table on Yunlan's right were the first ones to look over in his direction, agreeing that he did look like the poster but it wasn't him, his hair was too long. They didn't like the replacement who had been brought in to govern, because when the previous members of the royal family looked after the country, they never treated any of their subjects the way this crook did. Wei directed his attention to one of the more quiet drinkers who had been watching him earlier and had realised that he was working for Zhu Jiu and he whispered,

"Ah.Lan, whatever happens in the next five minutes, don't move. There are spies here," and he sat prepared, ready to stop Yunlan if he interfered.

The Warning was enough for Yunlan not to get involved and he realised that Wei was reading some of the minds closest to them but he would ask him about it later. They watched as two men approached the loud table and escorted the speaker out of the tavern, while his colleagues sat in silence along with the rest of the pub. Yunlan studied Wei's face and watched his expression change slightly as he lowered his head.

"Do you know what will happen to him Xiao Wei?" Yunlan asked as the low murmur of conversation began again.

"Prison for spreading rumours among the people. I think Zhu Jiu has stepped in and is the governor for this area. We need to find out what happened to the previous ruler."

Wei looked around the room from one face to another until he found someone who caught his interest, and he held his glass in front of his face as if to drink but didn't, as he waited for the person to turn in his direction. Yunlan watched closely while the person four tables away caught sight of him and stared back before looking around the room for any threats, and nodded respectfully as he left to wait outside. Wei moved slightly to rise but Yunlan stopped him by holding his arm.