Chapter 3

Black Robe could feel his host's shocked reaction and immediately spoke to his mind.

"Shen Wei, My Young Lord, sit down quickly and let me take over, listen and learn please."

Wei signalled for a seat before his knees gave way and the Spirit took over to hide the shock of the Prince from the nearby onlookers who were proud to have him sitting in their midst, as he addressed the owner of the nearest market stall.

"Can you tell me, who told you that we were dead?" He asked and directed a lovely smile towards him to show that he was not displeased in any way.

"One of the criminals who was sent back a few weeks ago was pardoned by the court, and they released him."

Black Robe knew that this was impossible because the new host had not learned about the home world or prisoner transport, therefore no one had been sent back for two years.

"Do you know what his name is and where I can find him?"

The old lady answered the question before her husband had a chance to tell her to say nothing.

"He's called Zhu Jiu, but I don't know where he lives, however he's easy to spot because his hair is long and is always tied back with a purple ribbon."

Black Robe thanked her and stayed long enough to be polite and enjoy some food before he moved on, leaving the market square behind him to find a safe area in the village to scan for the orb and the released prisoner.

"My Lord Black Robe, while you are scanning I think you have some explaining to do, starting with the orb and then this world." Wei asked and waited patiently for some answers.

"Yes, Young Lord, there are quite a few issues that you're not aware of and if it hadn't been for the theft, I could have explained them slower but now there is no time and you need to know everything."

Black Robe sighed and started the long story behind the war between the two worlds, followed by the outcome and the peace treaty. He then explained his heritage and the necessity of wearing the mask for his own safety. The history and the importance of the orb took a lot longer and by the time he had finished, Wei was in shock. It made sense why it was so valuable here in this world, but the reason for the theft wasn't clear. Did the thief want it to damage the royal family in some way or to control the gateways?

"Unknown, Young Lord." The Spirit answered, but they needed to find it before they could return home.

"Did you sense anything when you scanned the area?" Wei asked, hoping that there would be some trace.

"No Young Lord, there's no sign of it here. We have to move on, the ones who attacked us know where we are, they could come back and try again."

Wei agreed. When the thieves brought the orb here, there were others waiting to ambush Black Robe if he'd followed, and he'd walked into their trap before he'd managed to escape to the plateau. Luckily in this world, they never use guns but they did have archers with perfect aiming and hand weapons which were lethal.