Chapter 15

Later after dinner, Yunlan sat casually on the floor with his back leaning against the sofa watching the flames dancing in the fire, feeling content with his life as it was now. It didn't matter about tomorrow because it hadn't happened yet, but right now he was happy. Wei joined him and lay down to use his lap as a pillow while he faced the fire, and closed his eyes to rest in the gentle heat. He felt the familiar fingers brushing his hair as he relaxed and dozed, while Yunlan looked down at this wonderful person who had come into his life and all previous fears or worries left his mind, he would love him for an eternity if he was allowed and he would protect him with his life without hesitation.

He tilted his head back resting it on the sofa and looked up at the ceiling. There was a hazy glimmer that he had never noticed before, and wondered if it had always been there or was it part of the protection that the recording had spoken about, and decided to take a look at all the rooms tomorrow. It wasn't dangerous and maybe the recording had activated it now that Wei had been to the basement, it sounded logical. Sleep Yunlan rest your brain, you have work tomorrow, he told himself, enjoy the here and now.

Wei watched as the man came closer with the sharper blade, and pierced his chest as he screamed in his dream, with his tears soaking through to Yunlan's legs as he fought to move away and thrashed about while he slept. Yunlan was instantly awake and tried to hold Wei steady while he struggled and threw some dark energy towards the fire, which exploded and rebound in their direction as a deadly ball of flames heading straight for them.

Yunlan panicked as he saw the flames and felt the heat coming nearer and raised his arm defensively in front of his face as he turned away, and nothing happened. The heat was gone in an instant, and he slowly turned back to see why. The flaming deadly fireball was floating in mid air, close enough that it should have burned them both but there was no heat, and he heard Apep talk to him.

"Yunlan, My Lord, you are controlling the fire, don't drop your arm or we'll all get roasted. Imagine gently pushing it back to where it belongs, like a normal child's toy ball, it won't hurt you."

Yunlan had learned to trust Apep and he gently pushed the flaming ball back to the fireplace before he lowered his arm and looked at Wei who seemed to be in pain. He smoothed out his brow and spoke softly to him as he wiped the tears away,

"Xiao Wei, wake up my love, you are safe," and he lifted him closer while he dried his face.

Wei took a deep breath and opened his eyes. He saw the scorch marks on the rug at the fireplace and felt afraid.

"Did I harm you?" he asked as he looked, checking for any injuries to his head and shoulders while Yunlan still held him.

"No, you didn't. Calm yourself Xaio Wei, I'm fine, come I'll take you to bed."

Wei knew that something had happened but not exactly what, and Yunlan wasn't sure who to ask about controlling fire but not tonight, Wei needed to sleep after reliving a memory, so he took him upstairs and made sure that he was comfortable and asleep before he joined him, curving into his back.