Chapt 1: The Beginning of the End

I didn't ever think that my job would become the world until the elderly lady, rose up from the dead, right where she was about to be prepped for her funeral.

I screamed, my boss rolling his eyes looking at the commotion.

"What the hell?" He muttered before taking action and quickly buckling the little old lady back into the cot.

"But...the...the hospital said... she was in a morgue! She is a skin donor!" I said confused looking at the lady chomping her teeth her eyes sunken and clouded just like most the dead were.

"I know..I...Did she die of rabies? Why isn't she talking" My boss, Tyler said trying to figure out what was going on. All the sudden the prep room door swung open our secretary looking at us with wide eyes.

"There seems to be an issue um. The mayor and coroner are at the front door. Phone's are ringing off the hook.

Tyler sighed removing his gloves. Walking towards the door.
"Y/n umm... stay here... don't go near that lady" I nodded looking back at the lady chomping still.

Her name was Molly Alwyn. She was 97 and she had died in the hospital after complications from a stroke. She had 2 children and 3 grandchildren.

I bit my lip stepping back into a corner of the room watching the lady. Suddenly the prep room door swung open again the coroner and a sheriff's deputy was standing there, along with Tyler. I recognized the deputy, Shane Walsh. I had seen Shane previously on some death calls. His parter had gotten shot two weeks ago.

The coroner nodded to Shane, who then walked over and plunged the knife into the ear of Mrs Alwyn.

"What the hell?! That. You just killed a person!" I asked confused

"No y/n that wasn't a person. That is something else. We are dealing with something else entirely."

I looked wide eyed at my boss.
"What do you mean?"

"Its a virus. Infecting people. We are being instructed that if...if the body begins to move that we should ...put it down... That's our job now"

"But we are...we are supposed to be giving these people a proper burial. A proper goodbye. What about burial rites? Religious rites? Molly's family should be able to say goodbye! That's our jobs!"

Tyler nodded to the coroner and Shane who looked at me with a look I couldn't quite read before exiting the prep room.

"I know y/n and we are going to do our best to give them that but we are being instructed to do immediate burials. Maybe some cremations..No matter what the families may want. Just until they figure out what's going on"

"Tyler. Thats wrong! That's the whole reason I joined the career because I know what it was like not being able to say goodbye to my family!"

Tyler looking at me with sad eyes. "I know y/n. And that's the whole reason I hired you because you were never in this for the money or the rewards. You just wanted to give families a chance to have a goodbye. But this. This is our jobs now"

I looked at him nodding.

========[Two months later]========

It had been almost two months since the world fell. Tyler and I had been burying and cremating where the ones we could, until about three weeks ago, when we had a close call with a walker family. Tyler and I both nearly joined the walkers.

"We will stop by your place first. Hopefully our places still have some things that the looters didn't want. We need to  head to Atlanta. We can't stay here any longer, it's their world now"

"If that's what you think Tyler."

"We can however put down the ones we see. Our way of seeing to our duty?" He said as he turned into my driveway. I smiled at that and nodded heading into my house.

There was broken glass scattered everywhere. Looters had definitely came through. Luckily they only took money and my laptop. I sighed grabbing a suitcase and a gym bag I rarely used. I hated the gym.

I began putting clothes into the suitcase along with some personal hygiene stuff. It may be the apocalypse but I would still like to maintain some of my human decency. I went downstairs and began stuffing my bag with things from my pantry.

After filling those up I went to the bookshelf near the front entrance. I smiled at the photoframe that had a picture of my family. The only picture I had left. I took the photo out and stuffed it into my bra. I figured it would be safe there if we had to run or something.

I got back into the car and Tyler began to drive to his house. After a few minutes her came out with a suitcase and a pet carrier.

I tilted my head a little bit confused. He put the thing in the back and I heard a "Meow" from the carrier.

"Tyler you can't be serious? That's bait"

He stopped midway buckling his seatbelt. Turning to look at me with the most offended look.

"That is Muffin and you will respect, Muffin, he is all I got left." I just nodded wide-eyed.

"How did Muffin survive for this long?"

"Don't worry about that"

"Those...those scavenging trips. That wasn't just to scavenge. You, oh my god why didn't you just bring it to the funeral home??"

"Muffin doesn't like change"

I just rolled my eyes. My boss is trying to keep a cat alive during the zombie apocalypse.

---------------------------------------------------------
We had been driving for an hour or so now. We had pulled off near an abandoned house to refuel. Tylee had siphoned enough gas to go in some gas cans before left.

As I filling the car up he was taking Muffin for a walk. He had a harness and leash for his cat.

Suddenly I could hear what sounded like car sirens going off and I saw a red car fly pass on the road and veer off on another road. And not to long after a box truck was behind.

Muffin had to be the most chillest cat ever as he was sitting there watching as well unphased by the screeching car.

"Why don't we follow them? Maybe they know if there really is a camp or not."

"Wait why?"

"Because obviously they are driving away from the city maybe there isn't anything there after all. Besides it would be good to be with some other people again. You know that arent the dead"

I sighed and nodded getting back into the passenger seat as he settled Muffin back into his carrier.

"Im just glad you decided to take the van instead of the hearse. Would have been weird driving a hearse through the zombie apocalypse and hoping to find people"