~Delayed Farewell to My Dear Lily~

But, even if they were the one to bring them together, Hatsune would not allow such a 'forever' for the two men.

The deities were cruel, if this was their work.

Bringing a prince and a meager thief together, only to let the hands of time tear them apart... "

Fate, the deities... whichever being out there with control over their lives was certainly not kind to a meager thief and a prince.

~ * ~

The fields were quiet, a soft breeze rising and falling. The lilies around them swayed from the gentle touch of the wind, letting the flowers brush against their limbs.

The thief brushed his fingers through the prince's golden-peach hair, gently caressing his head. Sunset eyes groggily opened to look up at him with a gentleness that pierced through his heart.

How cruel the deities are to this poor thief.

With a gentle touch, he closed those beautiful eyes, letting him rest, letting the two men take in the comfort of each other in silence.

They didn't need any words to pass between them. Just being together was enough.

It hadn't been long since they'd met, their first encounter was... rough, to say the least.

And yet... so much trust had built between them. So much comfort. A safety net, of sorts.

If he were to ever go back in time, he would certainly climb that tower again. And again. And again.

Oh, the hold the prince had over this meager thief's heart.

Perhaps it was whatever deities' wish that they meet and be together as they are.

Maybe he'll visit a shrine, give Hatsune his thanks for bringing him and the prince together. If it was even their doing.

He raised his head, turning his gaze to the darkening sky above, the reds and oranges fading to blues and indigos.

Perhaps they could stargaze a while before heading back to town.

It would be troublesome to the night patrol, to enter late into the night, but it would be worth it, if he could give the prince more glimpses of his freedom. Let him live it to the fullest.

They're still unsure of when the royal guards will find them and take the prince back to be locked away again.

He can only provide for the prince as best as he can, until their inevitable departure.

The thief raised the prince's hand to his lips, tenderly kissing each knuckle. The prince's fingers twitched slightly, but he stayed still, opening his eyes to glance up at him again, before falling closed.

He'd surely exhausted himself after their walk to the field. They'd nearly gotten lost on their way here, but the pure excitement in the prince's eyes... He'd never forget that look the prince gave him when they spotted the lily field through the trees.

Maybe KAITO had a role in bringing them together. Or even Megurine... He should just thank all the deities, since one could never be too sure.

Whichever did grant him this opportunity... he would be forever grateful.

His gaze returned to the sky, letting out a soft breath.

The thought to stay longer and wait for the stars lingered, but neither of them had brought a lantern to traverse the dark forest back.