11 - Night Terrors

The bunker was eerily silent in the dead of night, the stillness broken only by the occasional distant sound of machinery and the soft hum of the air filtration system. It was a stark contrast to the noise and chaos that filled the days, a brief respite from the weight of leadership that rested on Octavia Blake's shoulders.

But even in the quiet, peace was elusive. Octavia lay in bed, her body tense, her mind a battlefield of memories and fears. Sleep had come fitfully, as it often did, and when it finally took her, it brought no comfort—only nightmares.

In the darkness, she tossed and turned, caught in the throes of a particularly vivid dream. Her breathing quickened, her face contorted with fear and anguish. In her mind, she was back in the arena, watching the blood spill, hearing the cries of the fallen. The scent of death was thick in the air, and she felt the weight of each life lost pressing down on her, suffocating her.

"Octavia," Jade's voice was a soft, urgent whisper in the darkness. "Octavia, wake up."

Octavia's eyes flew open, her heart pounding, her body slick with sweat. She sat up abruptly, her breath coming in ragged gasps. For a moment, she was disoriented, unable to distinguish the nightmare from reality. But then she felt Jade's hand on her back, gentle and reassuring.

"Hey, it's okay," Jade murmured, her voice soothing. "It was just a dream. You're safe."

Octavia blinked, her vision slowly clearing as she focused on Jade's face, illuminated by the faint glow of the bedside lamp. The concern and love in Jade's eyes grounded her, pulling her back from the edge of panic.

"Jade," Octavia whispered, her voice trembling. "It felt so real. I... I was back there, in the arena. I could see their faces, hear their screams..."

Jade wrapped her arms around Octavia, pulling her close. "I know. But it's over now. You're here with me."Octavia clung to Jade, burying her face in the crook of her neck. The warmth and solidity of Jade's body were a lifeline, anchoring her in the present. She closed her eyes, willing the horrific images to fade, to be replaced by the comfort of Jade's embrace.

They sat like that for a long time, Jade's hands gently stroking Octavia's back, her presence a calming balm to Octavia's frayed nerves. Slowly, the tension began to ebb away, replaced by a profound weariness.

"I'm sorry," Octavia murmured, her voice muffled against Jade's skin. "I didn't mean to wake you."

Jade pressed a kiss to the top of Octavia's head. "You don't have to apologize, Octavia. We're in this together. Always."

Octavia pulled back slightly, looking up at Jade with a mixture of gratitude and sorrow. "I don't know what I'd do without you."

Jade cupped Octavia's face in her hands, her thumbs brushing away the tears that had slipped down Octavia's cheeks. "You're not alone, Octavia. You don't have to carry this burden by yourself. I'm here, and I always will be."

Octavia nodded, her throat tight with emotion. She knew Jade's words were true, but the weight of leadership, of being Blodreina, often made it difficult to accept help, to lean on others. She had built walls around herself, out of necessity, but Jade had always found a way to slip through the cracks, to reach the part of her that was still Octavia Blake, not just the ruthless leader.

"Let's lie back down," Jade suggested softly, her hands gently guiding Octavia back to the bed. "Try to get some rest."

Octavia allowed herself to be led, her body sinking into the mattress with a heavy sigh. Jade settled beside her, her presence a comforting constant. As they lay there, Octavia felt the familiar tug of fear, the anxiety that sleep would only bring more nightmares. But she forced herself to focus on Jade, on the warmth of her body, the steady rhythm of her breathing.

Jade's arm draped over Octavia's waist, pulling her close. "I'm right here," she whispered. "You're safe."

Octavia nodded, closing her eyes and taking a deep breath. She felt Jade's fingers gently threading through her hair, a soothing, repetitive motion that helped to calm her racing thoughts. The nightmare still lingered at the edges of her mind, but it felt less oppressive now, less capable of dragging her back into darkness.

For a while, they lay in silence, the only sound the soft rustle of the blankets and the distant hum of the bunker's systems. Octavia's mind began to drift, not towards sleep, but towards memories of happier times, of moments when the weight of the world hadn't been so heavy on her shoulders.

"Do you remember," Jade began quietly, her voice a gentle murmur in the darkness, "the first time we talked about what we wanted for the future?"

Octavia smiled faintly, the memory surfacing through the haze of fear and fatigue. "I remember," she replied softly. "We talked about watching a sunrise by a lake, away from all of this."

Jade's fingers continued their soothing motion through Octavia's hair. "Imagine it with me now," she said, her voice calm and reassuring. "The sun just peeking over the horizon, painting the sky in shades of pink and orange. The water reflecting the colours, calm and serene."

Octavia closed her eyes, allowing the image to fill her mind. She could almost feel the warmth of the sun on her face, the gentle breeze rustling the leaves around them. "It sounds beautiful."

"It will be," Jade promised. "One day, we'll be there. Just you and me, far away from all of this. We'll have a home, a place where we can be safe and happy."

Octavia's heart ached with the bittersweet memory. "It feels like a lifetime ago."

Jade's grip tightened slightly, a silent reassurance. "We can still have that, Octavia. Once we get out of here, we can build a life together. A real life."

Octavia turned her head slightly, looking at Jade with a mixture of hope and sadness. "Do you really think it's possible? After everything we've been through?"

Jade's eyes met hers, filled with unwavering conviction. "I do. As long as we're together, anything is possible."

Octavia nodded, her heart swelling with love for the woman beside her. "I don't know what I did to deserve you, but I'm grateful every day."

Jade's lips curved into a soft smile. "You deserve happiness, Octavia. You deserve love. And I'm going to be here, reminding you of that, every single day."Tears welled up in Octavia's eyes, but this time they were tears of gratitude, of love. "I love you, Jade," she whispered, her voice thick with emotion.

"I love you too, Octavia," Jade replied, leaning in to press a gentle kiss to Octavia's lips. It was a kiss filled with promise, with hope, with the unspoken vow that they would face whatever came their way together.

As they settled back into bed, Jade's arms wrapped around Octavia, holding her close. Octavia felt the warmth of Jade's body against hers, the steady beat of her heart a soothing rhythm that helped to ease the lingering fear.

Jade spooned Octavia, her body a protective cocoon around her. "Sleep now," she whispered, her breath warm against Octavia's ear. "I'm here. You're safe."

Octavia closed her eyes, allowing herself to relax into Jade's embrace. The nightmares still lurked at the edges of her mind, but they felt less threatening now, less capable of pulling her into their grasp. With Jade's arms around her, she felt a sense of peace, a glimmer of hope that they could get through anything as long as they were together.

As she drifted off to sleep, Octavia held onto that thought, the warmth of Jade's love a beacon in the darkness. She knew there would be more challenges, more nights filled with fear and uncertainty, but she also knew that with Jade by her side, she could face anything. And in that knowledge, she found a measure of peace, a glimmer of light in the shadowed world they inhabited.