18

ıllıllı 𝙩𝙧𝙖𝙞𝙣 𝙙𝙚𝙢𝙤𝙣 ıllıllı

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

"Hatsu!"

Y/N shot up, sputtering for breath, narrowly missing Kyojuro's chin. She shook, tears welling in her eyes. She could already tell that she had been crying when she was asleep by the way her cheeks felt firm. Yet she couldn't hold back the few tears that managed to get by her defenses, rolling down her cheeks as she trembled.

She moved out of the seat and stood, only then noticing that she was bound by a rope to a... stranger? She looked him over, puzzled. He was an ordinary man. He wore a yellow yukata, had black hair, and a birthmark under his lip and right eye.

She untied the rope, leaving it in his lap. She noticed that everyone was asleep. Not only that, but they were all tethered to ropes exactly like she had been. But Y/N tensed. She could feel it.

The way the air shifted. The way the train swayed a little more. The way the lights seemed dimmer.

There was a true demon on top of the train.

Blinded by curiosity and duty, she grabbed her naginata and ran to the end of the train car. She assumed that the others would be up shortly, and her leaving them would be no big deal. She reached the door to the outside, darkness enveloping her as she stepped out. The night was fresh and carried the scent of new dew and musk— and the untimely stench of a powerful demon.

Y/N fastened her mask directly over her face. Having it only cover half would be an obstruction and a rather pricey liability, one of which she wouldn't rather pay with her life. Swiftly she leapt to the top of the train, seamlessly landing crouched and low. She made sure to mask her presence as she stalked forward. The wind was rushing against her face, so her scent wouldn't be able to be known.

She saw the demon. A male, by the looks of his stature. He wore an outdated tailcoat and had shoulder-length black hair with red tips. Two longer pieces dangled down, showcasing a contrasting blue tip. He never turned to look at her.

Taking advantage of the situation, she readied her weapon.

Nature Breathing, Sixth Form: Vines of Wrath

The color of the base of her blade changed to a deep green.

She lunged forward in an instant. She moved like a winding vine, flexible and fluid, and cut off his arms in wave-like slashes. The attack itself wasn't meant to cause a final blow, but to rather scout an opponent or hinder them. She looked for an opening. But he was quick to react.

"My! How surprising! You're awake. A Hashira, I presume?" His voice had a melodic lilt to it that sounded almost erotic. It made Y/N cringe deeply on the inside. He had mouths on his hands, and yellow and green markings on his face. He had the engraving of "Lower 1" in his eyes.

She immediately knew that he was a rather hefty opponent. The strongest Moon she ever faced was back when she was 13– Upper Moon 5. She had been pretty severely injured and could've faced partial paralysis in her legs. But she, somehow, bounced back in mere weeks to continue her job of protecting the Chikyuu estate, and all was well. It wasn't anything she couldn't handle. But she needed to wait before just flat-out killing him.

Y/N would never admit it, but she had a cocky side to her whenever she went into a challenging battle. It was like she went in knowing she would do damage that she wouldn't regret. There was something so gratifying about it, and it brought her a nasty pleasure. Don't get her wrong, she hated the idea of killing something that was once a human. But there was always that dark, lurking idea of having no mercy on something that has harmed others.