23

ıllıllı 𝙠𝙞𝙗𝙪𝙩𝙨𝙪𝙟𝙞 ıllıllı

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

"Uzui-san?" Y/N landed on the rooftop next to him, a serious yet worried look plastered to her face.

The sun was high and radiant, unlike the gentle bustle in the streets. Day workers and merchants hurried along, the occasional courtesan hustling from one house to another. A cool breeze wafted through the air, carrying the smells of perfumes and spices, cloths and alcohol. Uzui turned his head, a smile of his face as he heard her voice. It faltered when he noticed the look she wore.

"Yes, flower?" She rolled her eyes at the nickname. He had been calling her that recently. It brought back an uneasy feeling of déjà vu, for some reason. But she sobered herself and her thoughts before looking him dead in the eyes.

"He's gone. Zenitsu-san wasn't anywhere in the house, nor did anyone know where he was. He's disappeared. I searched his room, but there were no tracks or clues... It looks like simple ashinuke." She responded flatly, her voice wavering only slightly at the mention of ashinuke.

It had been 5 days total since they had began their infiltration. Uzui and Y/N had stayed in the streets night after night, asking around and even sneaking into houses— via Y/N 'looking for a house to stay' or Uzui becoming a 'customer'— and had uncovered absolutely nothing. They did learn, however, that in the Kyogoku house, the lady of the estate had committed suicide just days before their arrival. Immediately, that drew their suspicions. But now with Zenitsu being gone, it only seemed to confirm everything they had boiled it down to be:

The demon was in the Kyogoku house. 

Uzui looked away and down at the street. A man with a jug of liquor swayed in the sun. A young teen boy wheeled in a barrow of coals, followed by another with wood. A woman with a beautiful orange kimono glanced down an alleyway before shimmying into the darkness, her cheeks dusted with red and a smile on her lips.

"We need to meet up with Tanjiro-kun and Inosuke-san." She stood, glancing back at the tall man looming over the district streets.

"Right," he responded, standing up to face her, "we need to keep them away from this." And with that, he leapt off, jumping from roof to roof with no sound. Y/N frowned and followed.

She didn't know what to think about this. She felt bad for putting Zenitsu in a place where he could, in fact, die. Sure she knew it was a possibility, but him disappearing with no word or contact at all made it worse. But then again, every slayer knew the risk of killing demons was always high, and a common factor on every mission was a high possibility of death. Y/N didn't care much if she were the one dying, but rather if those around her did. It was such an excruciating experience that she wouldn't wish on anyone. Well, she would wish it on some people. But not anyone she liked.

Y/N sighed, catching up to Uzui and sitting next to him on the same roof Tanjiro and Inosuke were on. They hadn't noticed them yet. Y/N's back was facing the duo as she stood behind a criss-crossed Uzui. This roof was a bit higher than the others, giving them a stunning vantage point.

"Yeah, well Y/N-san, Zenitsu, and Uzui-san should be coming to check in soon." Tanjiro reminded Inosuke. The boar head was fired up for some reason.. talking about another demon in his house?

"And it was all like this! I couldn't be any clearer if I tried!" He made a large gesture with his arms raised in the air, representing something of the sorts. He looked kinda stupid.

"Zenitsu won't be coming." Uzui said, giving away their once unnoticeableness. She could feel their shock at their sudden appearance next to them. She nearly laughed, amused at this.