C-1

Chapter One

I'm Eli, an ordinary person who works as a personal assistant to someone who seems to have been born with hatred because everything she sees in the world is darkness, but of course I'm not like her; I'm the one who opposes her negative views of life, just like now, while we were both sitting on the balcony of her condo. She looked at the sky, and I could read in her devilish smile that she was going to say something negative again.

"Spill it," I said while looking at Zia with my soulful core.

"You know you really know me, Eli," she laughed and answered.

"Why do some people look up to the sky when they need guidance? Do you think the sky will answer them?" she said jokingly.

I sighed before I spoke.

"You know, I once thought that when a person is so smart, she sometimes becomes a fool.".

She raised her eyebrows and turned to me.

"Are you saying I'm stupid?" I can feel the annoyance in her voice.

I burst out laughing as I looked at her face.

"Elli, do you wish you had no salary this month?" she said seriously.

I scratched the back of my neck as I held back my laughter.

"Zia, when will you change your negative thinking?" I said.

She sighed, then she took out a cigarette stick and lit it.

"Is my bitterness in life consuming me too much, Eli?" she asked.

At this moment, I felt sorry for her.

"I understand why you are acting like that now, but I hope you also think that by doing that, you are only hurting yourself, Zia," I said calmly.

"Thank you, Eli, because despite my negativity in life, you are there to support me. You are full of positivity and hope. You really are the one I need to be with forever," she said as she blew away the smoke from her cigarette.

"Why me? Don't you plan to get married?" I asked her.

She coughed when she heard what I said.

"Getting married? Aren't you afraid of that word, Eli? Do you know that getting married is like killing yourself slowly?" she answered.

I looked at her with all my heart as I reminded myself not to say words that would make her sad.

"You need to find a husband, Zia; I'm just your ordinary assistant. Remember that," I said.

She turned to me with a sad smile on her face.

"Are you tired of understanding me, Eli? Am I that hard to love?" She said weakly.

"Don't get me wrong, of course! I'll stay with you as long as you want me to, but having someone special in your heart is a different story, Zia. I mean, we're friends, and we remained friends for a lifetime," I said.

"Do you wish to find someone special to you? Or is there someone special to your heart right now?" She asked.

"I don't have anyone special to me, but if heaven sends me someone, I will gladly accept that person," I replied.

"What if I'm the one meant for you?" she said, laughing.

I looked at her with a deathly stare as I shook my head.

"You're unbelievable, Zia. How on earth do you think that?" I said, still shaking my head.

"Why not? I'm open to all kinds of relationships. I mean, if I am meant to fall in love with you, then much better; at least we knew each other already," she replied.