Secrets C-13

Secrets
by; michimichiro

Chapter 13

I couldn't shake the image of Zia's sad face from my mind. Ever since she visited Brielle's house, a cloud of sorrow seemed to follow her everywhere. It pained me to see her like this, especially knowing that facing her sister and father had such a devastating effect on her.

As I sat in my office, surrounded by the usual bustle of work, I found myself unable to focus. Zia's sorrow consumed my thoughts, gnawing at me until I could bear it no longer. With a sudden burst of determination, I grabbed my car keys and headed out, my destination clear in my mind: I wanted to go to Sarah's office.

The drive to her company's building felt both too long and too short. My emotions were a tangled mess of worry, anger, and frustration. I knew I owed Sarah and her father a great deal for their help in the past, but I couldn't stand by and watch them hurt the woman I loved so deeply.

As I pulled into the parking lot, I took a deep breath, trying to calm my racing heart. The sleek, modern building loomed before me, a testament to the Brielle family's success. I strode through the automatic doors, my footsteps echoing in the marble lobby. The receptionist recognised me and waved me through without question.

With each step towards Sarah's office, I rehearsed what I wanted to say. I needed to be firm but diplomatic. After all, this was a delicate situation, and I didn't want to make things worse for Zia.

Standing outside Sarah's door, I hesitated for a moment before knocking. There was no turning back now. I had to do this for Zia's sake.

"Come in," Sarah's voice called from inside.

I opened the door and stepped into her spacious office. Sarah looked up from her computer, surprise flashing across her face as she recognised me.

"Eli, I don't remember scheduling an appointment with you today," she said, her tone a mix of confusion and slight annoyance.

I cleared my throat, suddenly feeling awkward. "I'm sorry for dropping by unannounced, Sarah. I just... I need to talk to you about your sister."

Sarah's expression hardened instantly. She glanced at her watch, her lips pressing into a thin line. "If this isn't about business, I'm afraid I can't spare the time, Eli. I have a client meeting soon."

"Please, Sarah," I pleaded, remaining standing near the door. "I'm begging you. We need to talk about this properly."

Her eyes narrowed as she leant back in her chair. "Even you, Eli? Are you here to force me to accept that bastard too?"

Her words hit me like a physical blow. I felt my body tense, and anger was surging through me. This wasn't the Sarah I thought I knew. The woman before me seemed cold, harsh, and utterly unlike the friend I'd come to respect over the years.

"You shouldn't talk about Zia like that," I said, struggling to keep my voice steady. "It's not her fault that she's your father's daughter."

A sly smile spread across Sarah's face, but it didn't reach her eyes. "Oh, does it hurt you that I called her a bastard, Eli? I suppose it would, wouldn't it? After all, you're one too, aren't you? The product of a home-wrecker's mistake."

Her words stung, but I pushed past the pain. This wasn't about me: "If you're angry because your father has another child, don't take it out on Zia. You should be thankful you're a legitimate child. What if your positions were reversed? How would you feel if Zia treated you the way you're treating her now?"

Sarah's eyes flashed with fury. "Are you saying my anger isn't valid just because I'm the legitimate child? Do you expect me to just accept Zia with open arms because she's my'sister'? Have you ever considered how I feel? How does my mother feel?"

I took a deep breath, trying to calm myself. "Look, Sarah, your anger is understandable. But that doesn't justify treating Zia this way. She's hurting too, just like you are. At least you still have your mother. Zia doesn't even know where hers is."

"That's not my problem, Eli," Sarah snapped. "I don't care if Zia is hurting. If you're here to force me to accept her, I'm sorry, but I can't do it."

I took a step closer, desperation creeping into my voice. "I'll do anything, Sarah. Just... please, give Zia a chance. Give her a place in your heart."

Sarah's laugh was bitter and cold. "I don't need anything from you, Eli. I was in love with you once, but you chose her over me. And now you're willing to do anything for her? Leave now before I call security."

Her words hit me like a punch to the gut. I hadn't known about her feelings for me; I thought it was just pure admiration, and the revelation only added another layer of complexity to an already difficult situation.

"Why is it so hard for you to accept her as your sister?" I pressed on, refusing to back down. "Margot accepted me easily. Why can't you do the same for Zia?"

Sarah's eyes flashed dangerously. "I'm not Margot. Do you want to know why I hate Zia? Because she's taking everything from me—first you, and now my father. What's next? Our company?"

I shook my head, frustration rising inside me. "Zia hasn't taken anything from you, Sarah. I was never yours, to begin with, in case you've forgotten. And your father is the one who asked Zia to come to your house. She's not to blame for any of this. She knows nothing about what you're accusing her of."

Sarah's face was a mask of stubbornness. "Whatever you think or say, it's not going to change my mind. Zia is just Zia, and she will never be a part of the Brielle family."

I felt the fight drain out of me, replaced by a deep sadness. "If that's how you feel, then remember this: it's not Zia's fault, or mine, that we're unwanted children."

With those final words, I turned and left her office, my heart heavy with the weight of our conversation.

As I walked back to my car, my mind raced with thoughts and emotions. I had hoped that by talking to Sarah, I could somehow bridge the gap between her and Zia. Instead, I felt like I had only widened it further.

The drive back to my office was a blur. I couldn't stop replaying the conversation in my head, wondering if there was something else I could have said or done differently. But deep down, I knew that Sarah's anger and resentment ran too deep for me to change in a single conversation.

Back at my desk, I stared blankly at my computer screen, unable to focus on work. My thoughts kept drifting to Zia, imagining her sad eyes and the weight she carried on her shoulders. I wanted nothing more than to wrap her in my arms and shield her from all the pain and rejection she was facing.

As the day went on, I made a decision. I couldn't change Sarah's mind, but I could be there for Zia. I would stand by her side, support her, and love her unconditionally. If the Brielle family couldn't see what an amazing person she was, then it was their loss.