C-10

Chapter 10

I walked into my office, the familiar scent of paper and coffee filling the air. It's been a while since the last time I came to work. As I turned the corner, my heart skipped a beat. There, sitting at my desk, was Oli. The same Oli I had shared unforgettable moments with on the island.

"Oli, what are you doing here?" My voice trembled with surprise and a hint of excitement.

Oli stood up, a nervous smile playing on her lips.

"Zia, I couldn't stop thinking about you. I wonder if you finally get over her or not. And as the days passed, I realized how much you mean to me. I want to start a new story with you, if you'll allow me to," said Oli as she looked at me full of emotions.

My eyes widened in disbelief, and emotions swirled inside me. I know Oli was in love with her ex, and now she's in front of me, asking things that I don't want to talk about.

I took a deep breath, my eyes locked with Oli's, as I gathered the courage to ask the question that weighed heavily on my heart.

"Oli, I appreciate your gesture, but I need to know... How sure are you that you want to start a new life with me, especially knowing that you're still madly in love with your ex?" My voice was steady yet laced with a hint of vulnerability.

Oli's expression softened, her gaze unwavering as she reached out to hold my hand.

"Zia, I won't deny the love I once had with her, but what I feel for you is different. It's a connection that goes beyond the past, beyond what was. With you, I see a future filled with possibilities, with love that is real and present," Oli said, looking at me.

As I gaze at Oli, my mind races with questions and doubts. Despite Oli's convincing words, I analyze her every action. I observe Oli's body language, tone of voice, and facial expressions, searching for any subtle clues that may reveal the sincerity or ulterior motives behind Oli's declaration now.

At this moment, my emotions create a whirlwind of conflicting thoughts. While I acknowledge Oli's words with caution, my inner turmoil reflects my struggle to trust my instincts and make sense of Oli's intentions.

"Zia, I need you to look at me," said Oli.

I turned to face her.

"I know that you've been hurt before. I know about Eli and the pain she caused you.".

I looked down as I remembered my pain.

"But I want you to know something, Zia. I am not Eli. I will never be Eli," she said, her voice filled with emotions.

I looked up, my eyes meeting hers.

"I can't promise that I'll never make mistakes or that I'll be perfect. But what I can promise, with all my heart, is that I will never intentionally hurt you," she said, taking my hand and placing it in her heart.

"I want a new life with you, Zia. Not because I want to escape my past, but because I genuinely see a future with you," she added.

"I won't repeat the same mistakes Eli made. I promise you, Zia. I care about you too much to ever cause you that kind of pain," she said, but this time she was hugging me.

The room fell silent, the weight of Oli's words hanging in the air as I took a moment to process her sincerity.

"Oli, I believe you," I said as I gently pushed her.

A flicker of hope sparks in Oli's eyes, but I raise my hand, signaling her to let me finish.

"I believe that your intentions are pure and that you genuinely want a future with me. I see the sincerity in your eyes, and I appreciate your honesty," I continued.

I took a deep breath, my next words weighing heavily on my heart.

"But Oli, right now, I don't think I can let anyone else into my life. Not because I doubt your intentions or because I'm afraid of getting hurt again. It's simply because I need to focus on my career. I've worked too hard and come too far to let anything, or anyone, distract me from my goals," I added.

I looked at Oli; my gaze was steady and resolute.

"I hope you understand, Oli. It's not about you; it's about me and what I need right now. I need to prioritize myself, my ambitions, and my dreams," I said, looking at her.

After hearing my words about prioritizing my career over a relationship, Oli nods and gives me a faint smile. I know that this time I made the right decision to choose my dream.

After Oli left my office, my eyes landed on the picture frame that was on the table. As my eyes linger on Eli's picture, a rush of memories floods my mind. The image of Eli, once a prominent figure in my life, now stands as a reminder of a past marked by decisions that led to our parting ways.

In the quiet solitude of my office, my thoughts turn to Eli, the person I once held dear but ultimately pushed away. A pang of regret tugs at my heart as I wonder about Eli's well-being in the aftermath of our separation. Questions swirl in my mind, each one a thread connecting my present to a past I can't quite let go of.

I recalled the day when our paths diverged, the weight of my choices heavy on my conscience. Did Eli find peace after she walked away? Was there a glimmer of understanding in Eli's eyes as I said my final goodbyes? A silent ache lingers in the corners of my thoughts.

As I contemplate the repercussions of my actions, a sense of longing mingles with the regret that clouds my mind. The echoes of our shared moments resonate in the stillness of the room, a sad reminder of the complexities of human relationships and the scars we leave behind.

In this moment, a bittersweet tapestry of memories binds me to a past I can't undo.