C-8

Chapter 8

I'm here in my home town to spend some time alone. It's so peaceful here, but I can't help but miss Zia. I wish she was here with me.

I took out my phone and dialed Zia's number. but it goes straight to voicemail.

"Oh, Zia's phone is off again. I've been trying to reach her all day," I said in disappointment.

I tried calling Zia a few more times, but each time it went to voicemail.

"Why does her phone have to be off? I was looking forward to talking to her and asking her how her vacation went," I said in frustration.

This time I start to feel regret about my decision to have a separate vacation. Maybe I shouldn't have insisted on going on a solo trip. Zia and I always have so much fun together.

I miss our late-night talks, our spontaneous road trips, and our endless laughter. This vacation feels incomplete without her. This time, I decided to send her a message.

"Hey Zia, I miss you. I wish you were here with me. I regret not having our vacation together. Let's plan something when I get back. I love you." That's what I texted her, hoping to get a reply from her soon.

"I hope she knows how much she means to me. I'll make it up to her when I return," I whisper to myself.

I woke up because my phone rang. When I looked at the caller, I saw Zia's number. I slid my finger and answered her call.

"Hello?" I said, yawning.

"Hey, Eli! I hope I didn't wake you up. I have some news," Zia said on the other line.

"No, it's alright. What's the news, Zia? I said, rubbing my eyes.

"I've decided to extend my vacation. The place I'm in is just so amazing, and I couldn't resist staying longer," she said happily.

"Oh, that's great, Zia. I'm happy for you. But... I thought we were supposed to be back tomorrow," I said sadly.

"Yeah, I know. I'm sorry, Eli. It's just that things changed, and I wanted some time alone," Zia said, but her voice was cold.

"Time alone? But you had life in the city, Zia; maybe you forgot that," I said in a calm voice.

"I know, and I'm sorry. I just needed some space, you know what I mean," she replied.

"Space? What do you mean, Zia? Did I do something wrong? Did I push you away?" I asked her.

But the silence was her only response.

"Zia, please... tell me where you are right now. Did you receive my message? Are you okay?" I asked, my voice full of emotion.

"I'm fine, Eli. I got your message, but I needed time to think. I hope you understand that," she replied coldly.

"I... I just wanted to know why you decided to extend your vacation without discussing it with me. We're supposed to be friends, Zia." was my only reply.

"Things change, Eli. People change," she said.

"What are you saying?" I asked her, confused.

But Zia was silent again.

"Zia, please... don't do this. We've been through so much together. I thought our bond was unbreakable," I said.

"I have to go, Eli. Enjoy the rest of your vacation. Goodbye," she said, then ended the call.

I was left speechless, my heart sinking as I gripped the phone tightly. The weight of Zia's silence and distance feels unbearable, leaving me in a state of profound pain and confusion.