9

Kaz

As soon I get back to the chateau, I go into the extra bedroom and slump down into the bed, exhausted from my thoughts and feelings. Eventually I drift off to sleep.

I'm woken up at three in the morning by the sound of my phone.

*5 new texts*

JBR🌊:
what the hell Kaz? where did u u go? sent 11:30pm

sarah❤️:
hey, everything okay? heard u took an Uber home. we'll be there in a couple hours if u wanna talk when I get back. sent 12:15 am

JJ👱🏻:
i'm sorry. i was wrong for kissing her. i'm just so confused by my feelings for you. i'm here at the chateau. come to the living room and talk to me pls. sent 2:00 am

rafe❄️:
hey. i need u. text back. sent 2:30 am

i'm outside. come out. pls. sent 2:50 am

u still outside? wtf is going on?

i'm here. pls come outside.

I huff as I get out of bed, sliding my feet into my slippers. I slowly open the door, looking to make sure everyone's asleep. They are. I stealthily sneak past JJ who's passed out on the couch, and sneak out the door. As I get outside, I don't see Rafe anywhere and I start to think he was just being a dick and tricking me.

"Kaz?" I hear someone say.

"Yeah", I reply.

A tall figure steps out from behind a tree.

Rafe.

"Hey uh...thank you for uh- thank you for coming out", he sniffles as he slurs his words.

"Rafe it's three in the morning. Are you drunk? What are you doing here? You know if John B catches you here, this is his property and he won't hesitate to beat your ass", I say.

"I-I know, I just...I need...fuck. Can I- can I stay here?" I see sadness in his eyes like he had been crying while waiting for me.

"Where's your bike, Rafe?"

He brings his palm to his head and rubs it in frustration, and I see a big red patch on his forearm that looks like a burn of some sort. I approach him and grab his wrist. Surprisingly, he doesn't yank it away.

"What is that? What the hell happened?"

"They found me man, alright? Is-is that what you wanna hear? That I fucked up again and got the bike stolen because I didn't make a payment on time. I'm so fucking stupid! I have the money, I just didn't get it to them yet. I was too busy doing some of the product myself. Listen I'm not here for pity alright. Can I just stay with you? Please?" He looks as if he's about to get emotional again, and drops his head down toward the ground, avoiding eye contact.

"You can't get an Uber?", I ask.

"You don't think I tried that already? It's three in the morning like you said. No Ubers are running right now. Please, man. The hurricane is supposed to come tomorrow and I- I don't wanna sleep outside of this house but I will, Kaz." Seeing him in this state really makes me feel for him.