12

Rafe

I've never really enjoyed Midsummers. To keep it real, I only went because my dad wanted the whole family to put on this front for everyone on the island, and I didn't want to let him down. Well, that and the fact that there was always booze and coke there.

But now that dad's dead, I somehow inherited the title of President of the Island Club, so now unless I move away— I still have to attend Midsummers every year. People usually go all out for Midsummers, but I prefer to keep it simple.

This year, I'm clad in a powder blue suit with a nice pair of Oxford's. I accessorize with my gold-plated diamond face Rolex, and the 'Cameron family ring' on my other hand.

As I pull into the venue that Midsummers is being held at, I'm still somehow in shock at how many people actually show up to this event every year. I mean, I know it's a staple for all of the Kooks, but I'm always amazed at how important people view this party as.

I step off my bike— that I finally got back from Barry earlier today, and make my way into the venue. The first thing that takes my gaze is all of the girls. I don't think there's a single girl at this party that I haven't hooked up with yet. But I need to find someone to take my mind off of Kaz. It feels like she put voodoo or some shit on me. After last night, she's the only thing that's been on my mind. And I never think about girls like that. I hit it once and then kick them to the curb. I don't know what it is about Kaz, but she hasn't left my mind since the hookup.

My train of thought is interrupted by Topper.

" 'Sup, Rafe?" I hear Topper say as he puts his hand on my shoulder.

"Oh, you know me, just scouting for which girl I'm gonna have in my bed tonight" I reply with a chuckle.

Topper laughs at my answer as he hands me a bottle of scotch.

"Ready to get fucked up tonight?"

"When have I ever turned down an opportunity to get fucked up?" I chuckle.

Kaz
As Sarah and I walk into the mansion that Midsummers is being held in, I feel more out of place than I've ever felt in my life. This isn't my crowd. Everyone's decked out from head to toe in the most expensive, extravagant designer fashions. And then there's little old me, wearing a dress that I bought from SHEIN, pretending like I fit in where I clearly don't.

Sarah takes note of my uneasiness.

"Kaz, I promise you'll have fun tonight. I won't leave your side unless you ask me to. I would never just throw you to the wolves. And besides, JJ and John B should be crashing this any minute now, so you'll have them to keep you company too", she laughs.

"I don't know, I just feel like...like I don't belong here."

"Kaz it's okay. You're with me. I would never make you feel out of place. But can I...can I ask you something?" Sarah has a concerned look on her face as she speaks.

"Of course", I say.

"What exactly is going on between you and JJ? John B and I saw the two of you kissing earlier but no one has said a word since then, and I think we're all really confused. I don't want either one of you to end up hurting each other."

"I'm uh...I'm not sure. I feel like he doesn't know what he wants. But it's clear that he doesn't wanna lose me completely either. In all honesty, I think he's just saying certain things to ensure that I won't lose feelings for him. It's selfish. But for some reason, my mind and heart won't let me leave him alone."

I'm caught off guard by how much I poured my heart out to someone I literally just met a couple of days ago.

"If he doesn't make his mind up, then you don't need him. You can find someone worth your time." As Sarah wraps me into a hug, I see Rafe about eighty feet away from me, standing by the door.