Chapter 21

Upon entering the clinic, the first thing Kanako noticed was the calm that seemed to permeate the atmosphere. The reception was an oasis of tranquility, with soft lighting emanating from delicately crafted paper lanterns. The receptionist greeted them with a polite smile.

Her mother approached the receptionist while Kanako and Nagato walked towards the waiting room.

The waiting room was a cozy and serene space. They settled on one of the sofas, upholstered in a neutral tone that seemed to blend into the cream-colored walls. In front of them, there was a small wooden table on which rested an ikebana arrangement, its flowers arranged with a simple and natural elegance that conveyed peace. Soft background music, with koto melodies and sounds of running water, added an extra layer of serenity to the atmosphere.

Her mother joined them, and together they waited in silence, until it was her turn, the receptionist guided Kanako through a silent hallway to the therapy room. Crossing the threshold, she found herself in a space that seemed like an extension of nature itself. The walls were decorated with paintings of Japanese landscapes and thought-provoking calligraphy. The wooden floor creaked slightly under her feet, giving the place a feeling of homely warmth.

In the center of the room, two comfortable armchairs were arranged facing each other, but not too close, allowing for intimate conversation without being intrusive. Between them, a small table held a tissue box and a small plant in a ceramic pot. Sunlight filtered gently through the shoji paper panels, bathing the room in a calming golden glow.

She sat up and noticed that in one corner of the room was a miniature sand garden, with meticulously drawn patterns. He also saw a bookshelf with books and therapeutic materials discreetly stored, ready to be used if necessary.

The therapist entered and greeted her with a soft and calm voice. "Good afternoon, Miss Mori." Kanako only nodded at his greeting. "I introduce myself, I am Ichiro Kishimi, so, your mother told me that you needed this session urgently."

She nodded again, the therapist took a seat, took out a pen and a small notebook, Kanako couldn't help but think how cliché that looked... But she supposed it's a cliché for some reason.

"So, Miss Mori, would you like to tell me about the reason why your mother requested this session so urgently?" The man asked in a soft and kind voice, inviting her to speak at her own pace.

Kanako let out a sigh, she was trying to force herself to speak, but shame wrapped around her like a suffocating blanket.

Mr. Kishimi seemed to notice, "I understand that it is difficult to speak, Miss Mori. This is a safe space. You don't have to rush, and there are no judgments here. We can go slow. Start with what you feel most comfortable sharing" The therapist spoke again.

Kanako looked at him for a few seconds before looking at the ground, she let out a sigh and gathered all the courage she could to speak "I... I" She sighed and inhaled "I was... Raped" She swallowed after saying those words.

She avoided looking at the therapist as much as possible after saying those words, and that prevented her from knowing his reaction to what she said, the man certainly didn't make a sound when she said that.

"A traumatic event that it is natural not to want to talk about" The man pronounced "I appreciate that you feel calm enough to share this with me, again do not feel pressured to tell more, Miss Mori"

That... It wasn't what she expected him to say after telling that... But in a way it was welcome, a simple thank you for the effort she made in speaking and an invitation to talk more at her own pace, was better than the deal. of silence that her mother was giving her and how Nagato now treats her as if she were made of glass.