Chapter-1

My mom barges into my room, yelling, "Siri, get up, you lazy ass. It's past 10!" I slowly rub my eyes, trying to wake up. She glares at me and continues, "I told you today is an important day. Vivek may come anytime soon. Get up and get ready." Begrudgingly, I throw my blanket at her and shuffle into the bathroom. I can hear her muttering, "Hey Bhagwan, when will my troublemaker baby grow up? She's going to get married; please help her."

I'm excited, not because of the marriage prospect, but because I'm finally stepping out of the house after three long months. I was in an accident and lost my memory. My mom told me to trust only her and not anyone else. I have no idea what kind of person I was—cheerful, depressed, introverted, extroverted, romantic, or, as my mom often calls me, a troublemaker. Was I really a troublemaker?

I come out of the bathroom, feeling refreshed. Looking in the mirror, I see all the scars on my face have disappeared, thanks to the endless pills and smelly creams. But today marks the end of that regimen—no more pills and creams, only tasty, spicy, delicious food. Was I always this much of a foodie? Lost in my thoughts, I head to the dining table and sit down.

"Mom, aren't Deepu and Inaya coming today?" I shout. Was I always this loud? Just then, they both arrive with a toddler—Deepu's 18-month-old daughter, Happy. I don't know her real name, but I like the name 'Happy.' Whoever named her must be very unique. Deepu carefully helps Inaya, who is four months pregnant and has a four-year-old son in school, to sit.

"Speak of the devil, and they appear," I whisper. They are my best friends, or so I've been told. I can't believe I was friends with these aunties, even though we're the same age, but I'm not married yet. My mom enters with a plateful of chapatis. Happy is left on the floor, attempting to walk but mostly stumbling, falling, crawling, and struggling to stand. We all chuckle at her tiny actions. The soft rug cushions her falls. My mom disappears into the kitchen again. I wonder what she does there all the time, except in the evening when she plants herself on the couch with the TV remote, watching family drama shows—shows I probably don't like.

I spread jam on my chapati and roll it up while the others eat with curry. My mom reappears with a milk bottle and a small plate. Wait, what? No! She places the plate with pills beside me.

"Mom! For fuck's sake, the pill course is finished, right?" I scream.

Predictably, I get a nice punch on my head. "Watch your mouth in front of my little lady," she says, walking past me to hand Happy the milk bottle. "These pills help regain your memory," she adds, walking into the hallway. Both Deepu and Inaya laugh at me.

"You lost your memory, but your weird eating habits and vocabulary haven't changed," Deepu says, shoving a bite of her food into her mouth.

I shove the rolled chapati into my mouth. My mom is back again, saying, "Siri, hurry up and get ready. Vivek just started. You need to be ready before he gets here."

Both Deepu and Inaya scream in unison, "VIVEK?"

"Do you guys know him?" I ask, still chewing.

"Of course," my mom replies. "They are our family friends. It's you who lost your memory, not us."

Well, I know I lost my brain, but they don't let me forget it.

My mom turns to them. "Yeah, girls, I haven't told you. Siri is going to marry him."

They exchange looks. Deepu says, "But, Mom, he's already engaged."

"Oh yeah, it broke off. Maybe it's destiny. Siri's dad always had this thought," my mom replies.

"But why, Mom?" Deepu counters.

"Where do marriages happen peacefully in our family? It was some quarrel," she says, walking away.

Inaya asks, "Did you really agree to marry Vivek?"

Deepu stresses, "VIVEK?"

I nod silently, chewing my last bite. They look at me in disbelief. Why are they reacting like this? Trying to change the topic, I ask, "By the way, where are your husbands? I haven't seen them all week."

Unwillingly, Inaya answers, "By the time you have breakfast, people have lunch. They went to the office ages ago."

"With Akul not here, Gautham is practically living in the office," Deepu adds.

Akul, Akul, Akul. Ive heard his name a thousand times. I don't know who he is, but whenever I hear his name, it feels familiar, close to my heart. I shrug it off. But why are they reacting like that to Vivek's name, I wonder.