Chapter-6

Deepu's doctor advised extra care—she could go into labor any day now. With everyone busy, I’m the one watching over her. Siri's voice echoes in my head, “Unemployed.” Well, why work when Dad has enough money for even my great-grandchildren?

I enter Deepu's study with juice and fruit, munching on some delicious cookies I found.

“Deepu, why stress? Just have these and chill like me,” I say, placing the tray on her desk.

“Akul, I'm just helping my interns,” she replies, taking the juice. I glance at the papers.

“So, when are you both leaving?” she asks, sipping the juice.

“Tomorrow evening,” I respond.

Deepu, I need to tell you something... (I stammer) I... I... love Siri, and I’m thinking of proposing to her.

"Okay, go ahead and propose," she says, glancing up from her documents and taking another bite of fruit, her attention divided between me and her monitor.

"Wait, you’re not surprised at all?"

She smirks, finally looking at me. "Oh, come on, Akul. Your eyes light up every time she's around. You’re always teasing and blushing. Did you think I wouldn’t notice? Plus, your visits have doubled since she came back. And the way you two bicker, it's obvious you just want an excuse to talk to her."

I chuckle nervously. "I forgot you're a lawyer, after all."

"But don’t tell me she likes you too! She hasn’t said a word to me! How dare she keep this from me," Deepu exclaims, her eyes now fully focused on me.

"Hold on, hold on, Miss Lawyer. Don’t get so worked up."She gulps down almost half the glass of juice, her curiosity piqued.

"The truth is, she does like me, but she’s reluctant to show it. That’s why I need your help to get her to open up about her feelings," I confess, hoping Deepu can help me.

Deepu sighed. "Akul, life is unpredictable,  like everyone she also  had a tough life. She never opens up and always puts her family's needs first. She pretends to be strong and happy, but she's faced endless obstacles. She wanted to be a chef, but her father denied it, and he died before she could convince him. She never spoke of it again."She acts brave but she's a coward inside.

She loved a boy since sixth grade but never confessed, and it shattered her when he got engaged.
Now that she's moved on, I don't want her to feel that pain again.

"If she loves you, you're incredibly lucky. When she loves, she loves deeply. She’s everything—a child, a mature woman, a caring partner, and a funny clown. With her, you'll feel complete." She says.

"But what should I do? How can I make her open up about her feelings? She's so stubborn," I said, frustration evident in my voice.

Deepu chuckled, "Yeah, she's irritatingly stubborn. Try making her feel like she's going to lose you. That might get her to admit she loves you. But be careful not to push too far. She might never look at you again."

"She's lucky to have you as a friend," I said, appreciating Deepu.

Deepu shrugged nonchalantly. "Obviously." She flexed, a playful grin on her face, showcasing both her advisory skills and the strength of their friendship.

I couldn't help but smile.

"I'm lucky to have both of them (Inaya and Siri) as friends. Sometimes they  drive me crazy, but life would be so empty and hard without them." Her voice carried a lot of emotion.

"And what about Gowtham?" I asked, curious.

She laughed, a twinkle in her eye. "He's an idiot, an absolute loser in love with me." Her laughter softened, and she added with genuine affection, "He's the greatest gift I've ever received, you could say."

Her words hung in the air, and I realized just how special their friendships is.

We are on our way to meet her younger brother, Prithvi, Who's pursuing medicine  in the US. She wanted to tie rakhi to him, and as per her wish—and my responsibility to fulfill it—we are on the flight.

She couldn't contain her excitement talking about the last time they met.
"I can't wait to his reaction when he sees us" her eyes sparkling.

She rests her head on my shoulder and drifts into a peaceful sleep. I can't help but wonder what good karma or virtuous deeds in my past lives have blessed me with an angel like her, such a uniquely wonderful person. As I sit here, silently admiring her, I hope that she'll open up her heart to me.

We finally arrived and met her brother, and everything went smoothly as she joyfully tied the rakhi.

He then expressed a craving for his sister's kheer, so the two of us set out for grocery shopping together. Amidst picking items, we coincidentally chose the same ice cream flavor, a light-hearted moment that revealed our shared affection for her. Initially, he felt jealous.

"Tell me honestly, do you love my sister?" he inquired.

I chuckled softly, "Your sister is just as hesitant to admit she loves me."

"Have you told her how you feel?" he pressed.

"Not yet, but I plan to very soon," I replied.

"Don't bother with cheesy lines from movies or books to win her over," he advised with a smile. "Just be sincere about your feelings. I'm sure she feels the same way. Otherwise, she wouldn't trust some guy enough to travel all this way with him."

As we continued our stroll and chat through the aisles.

The Present Day

My long journey from America to India had finally come to an end. Stepping off the plane, I whispered to myself, "Home at last."

With little luggage in tow, I swiftly made my way out of the airport. I was determined to avoid attracting any media attention, but as I navigated through the crowd, a young woman in her mid-twenties spotted me. She started shouting my name and running towards me.

It struck me as odd—if she were from the media, she would have addressed me as "Akul Sir." Her familiarity unsettled me.

I quickened my pace and got a cab. I slipped into the backseat, hoping to escape before she could catch up. As the cab pulled away, I glanced back to see her standing there, her face is unclear but i could sense she's someone familiar.