Chapter- 18

Akul's POV:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Ten days have passed, and there's still no improvement in our relationship. The engagement is just around the corner. God, I miss her so much. I'm at a complete loss. When I first came back to India after the accident, I was so sure I could win her back. But as the days slip by, that confidence has been slowly eroding, like sand through my fingers.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              One day, I feel like I'm on top of the world, especially when I see her and Vivek fighting. The next, I'm helpless, watching them together as if they're a perfect couple. It's like I'm stuck in a loop, torn between hope and despair.                                                                                                                                                                    The engagement preparations are in full swing now. Siri, especially, is glowing with excitement. She's always talking about Vivek, their wedding, and her dreams of starting a family—kids, a home—just like we used to talk about. But now, those words feel distant, like they're coming from a stranger. Something inside me is breaking, and I don't even know what it is.                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Today, they went shopping for the engagement. She asked me to come too, as if I'm just her best friend, like the past never existed, like she never loved me. If I went, I'd probably just ruin everyone's mood—Deepu's, Innaya's, hers. So, I stayed back, lying on my bed, lost in thought.                                                                                                                                                                                                          But then a wild idea crossed my mind. I grabbed my phone and quickly dialed Gowtham's number, tapping my foot impatiently as I waited for him to pick up."Wanna see her?" he asked, skipping a greeting, as if he knew why I was calling. "Want me to video call or come over?"                                                                   "No," I sighed, shaking my head even though he couldn't see me. "I actually have a question. After the accident, during the treatment, did they take away all the patients' accessories? Do you remember seeing a ring? Her ring?"                                                                                                                                                         Gowtham paused for a moment before answering. "No, there wasn't much. Just a chain, I think. Both your phones were lost too. Deepu even contacted some of her police friends, but they couldn't find anything."                                                                                                                                                    I slumped back against the bed, feeling defeated. "Okay..." I muttered, barely able to get the word out.                                                                                                                               Before I could hang up, Aashiq's voice cut in.                                                                                                            "What are you gonna do if you find the ring, Akul? Even after seeing you—the love of her life—she hasn't remembered a thing. Do you really think a ring will bring it all back?"                                                                             I laughed, but it was a bitter, hollow sound. " Yes, you are right!! "                                                                                                                                                                                      "We're coming over," Gowtham said quickly.                                                                                                                             "No, don't. I'm heading out," I replied, cutting the call before they could argue.                                                            I wasn't sure what I was doing or why, but before I knew it, I was driving aimlessly through the countryside toward Siri's village. The memories from last year began flooding my mind.---Memories:                                                                                                                                                                                              It was last September, and back then, I was just another friend in her life. But I was already head over heels in love with her. On that particular day, she vanished—switched off her phone, didn't respond to messages, wasn't at her apartment, her school, Innaya's, or Deepu's place. I was frantic. I thought she'd gone to see her mother or grandmother, so in desperation, I asked Deepu where she might be.                                                  "Oh, it's her father's birthday," she said, almost nonchalantly. "She visits his grave every year and doesn't answer calls or messages, not even from us."                                                                                                                                    Armed with that information, I went to the cemetery. And there she was, sitting alone, a broken, crying mess. Autumn leaves drifted gently around her as if nature itself was mourning with her. The sight of her crumpled figure, sobbing uncontrollably, shattered me. I stood at a distance, wanting to give her space, but my heart was aching to comfort her.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    She cried as if her world had been ripped apart all over again, as if her father had died that very day. I inched closer, hiding behind a tree where I could hear her but not disturb her.                                                                                                                                                                                                                           "Dad," she whispered between sobs, "your little princess is all grown up now. I've become the woman you always wanted me to be. I'm a teacher, like you dreamed, and I've taken care of my little brother. But I failed, Dad... I wasn't a great daughter. I was stubborn, I was tough."                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                She wiped her tears furiously, though they kept coming. "I still hate you for leaving, Dad. You promised you'd come back from the hospital... but I'm still waiting. Every year, I come here, hoping that maybe this time, you'll remember your promise and come back, just to stop me from crying. You never liked seeing me cry, so why don't you come back and make me stop?"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Her voice broke as she continued. "I always wanted to say,  " I did it ,'Dad, you can rest now. I'll take care of the family.' But you never gave me that chance. And now... the idea of family haunts me. What if I fall in love with someone like you? You were a great father, but sometimes, not the best husband. The way you treated Mom... I hate you for that too."                                                She let out a shaky breath. "Happy birthday, Dad. I love you."                                                                                          She kissed the grave, wiping her tears as they fell harder. She sat there in silence, lost in her grief, and that's when I stepped out from behind the tree.                                                                                                         "You've been crying," I said softly, my heart aching for her.Startled, she jumped to her feet, quickly wiping her face. "What are you doing here?" she asked, her voice full of shock.                                                                                                                                                                      "I was worried when you disappeared," I replied. "How did you get here? It's at least 3 kilometers from any public transport."                                                                                                                                                 "I walked," she said quietly, slinging her bag over her shoulder and walking past me.