Chapter-17

Vivek’s POV

I had never hated going to work until today. Was it the hangover, or her? I wasn’t sure. As I stood in front of the mirror, brushing my damp hair, I tried calling her. No answer. Maybe she was still asleep.

I switched  and dialed Rahul. He had a lot to answer for after last night—making me grovel in front of strangers was just the tip of the iceberg.

Before the call could connect, the door swung open. Speak of the devil, there he was, standing in my room with breakfast in hand. Knowing my mom, she’d made it for him, not me.

"Hooo! Look who survived the night," he said with a smirk, biting into a dosa. "Those eyes... rough night?"

I shot him a glare. "Just let me beat the crap out of you, you traitor." I moved toward him, and he took a defensive step back, laughing.

"Chill, bro. What happened? Let's sit and talk," he said, holding his hands up as if surrendering. We sat down, and between bites of breakfast, I recounted the chaos of the previous night.

"So, wait... nothing happened between you two?" he asked, dipping his dosa into the sambar, clearly enjoying this more than he should. I nodded, embarrassed, while he continued eating—whether he was savoring the moment or the dosa, I wasn’t sure.

"What's the name of the guy who bailed you out, again?" he asked, shoving the last piece into his mouth.

"Akul," I replied, slipping on my shoes. "He's Siri’s best friend."

As we got into the car, I turned to him. "And why are you here so early, anyway?"

"Sadhana’s got a lecture out of town, so she took my car and left early. Plus, I was starving."

"Lucky you," I muttered. "Your wife's job sounds way better than this corporate slavery."

He gave a half-hearted nod, focused on the road. "Maybe."

"By the way, why didn’t you pick up my call last night? That’s what I wanted to ask first."

A grin spread across his face, one that showed every tooth in his mouth. I didn’t need further explanation. I leaned back in the seat, chuckling to myself—he was clearly busy having a good time with Sadhana.

As I closed my eyes, he casually dropped a bomb. "Oh, by the way, after you left, they recruited a new guy. Apparently, he's some relative of the founder. Better hold onto your seat before the nepotism baby takes it."

I heard him but didn't bother to reply, too tired to care about office politics.

When we finally reached the office, the teasing began immediately. Word had spread like wildfire. After the business meeting, clients had left, but all anyone seemed to care about was the fact they’d seen my fiancée.

"Vivek, the lover boy!" one of my colleagues shouted, grinning ear to ear. I could feel my face burning as I tried to hide my embarrassment, quietly slipping into my seat at my desk.

I barely had time to boot up my computer before my eyelids began to droop. I was almost asleep when a sharp knock on the back of my head jolted me awake. I spun around, cursing under my breath, assuming it was Rahul. But no—there stood my senior, arms crossed and smirking.

"What’s up, hero? Looks like someone had quite the night!" she teased.

Rahul, sitting nearby, burst into laughter, knowing full well the truth. Despite her being my senior, she was more like an older sister to me—and to Rahul too. Her teasing was relentless but affectionate.

Later, as our group gathered for lunch in the canteen, Rahul wasted no time. He announced every embarrassing detail from last night like it was some grand revelation, turning my awkward moments into a full-blown comedy show for everyone at the table.