Chapter-13

The image of her with Vivek still haunts me as I descend the stairs. Why did he have to show up at that exact moment?

How could he be her husband? They aren't even engaged yet.

I despise him. I've cursed him countless times without even knowing him. Today was the first time I met him.

Since the night I first met Siri, she has never mentioned his name in front of me.

What if I can't win her heart before the engagement?

Will I ever have a chance to make her mine before she gets married?

What if she remembers her past after the wedding?

Can I live without her? Can she live without me?

Lost in these thoughts, I almost had an accident while driving.

Eventually, I reached home.
As I step inside, I notice my father sitting on the sofa, waiting for me.

Wait! What?

He’s supposed to be on a business trip in Paris. Why is he here right now?

I enter the hall, and before I can say anything, he shouts, "What do you think you're doing, Akul?"

"You just started walking a few days ago after being in a coma and severely injured, and yet you ran after that girl, betraying your parents!"

"Papa, I—"

He cuts me off, shouting even louder, "I don’t want to hear anything. Come to the office from tomorrow. It’s already late since you were announced as—"

I interrupt him, shouting back, "Papa, all you care about is your business, expansion, and money! Have you ever cared about me? Do you even know what I'm going through? Did you ever think of me as your—"

A sharp slap lands on my face, silencing me instantly. For the first time in my life, my mother has slapped me.

"Stop this nonsense, Akul," she shouts, her voice trembling with anger.

"Mind your language when speaking to my husband. Do you think he does all these things for himself? You’re not the only one going through a hard time.

It’s been months since he has eaten properly or slept peacefully. He was so worried about you that he sat beside you day and night until you opened your eyes.

Don’t you dare utter another word," she warns.

Taking my father's hand, she leads him to their room, her voice firm as she says, "Chaliye."

I stood there, realizing the gravity of what just happened. I had hurt my parents deeply. Lost in the haunting image of Siri and Vivek, I lost control of my words. Falling to my knees, tears streamed down my face as I cursed myself and my fate.

My elder sister came over, patting my back and sitting beside me.

"Akul, the day you brought Siri home, you were brave enough to stand up to Papa. I thought she was your strength, but she’s becoming your weakness too. Don’t let that weakness ruin your amazing life," she said.

"Are you saying I should forget her?" My voice came out harsher than I intended.

"No, I’m not saying that. And don’t raise your voice just because you feel helpless. Sit with Papa and make him understand that she’s important to you right now, more than becoming CEO," she said, hugging me.

I cried in her lap as she caressed my hair. "I’ve never seen Mom this angry," she said.

"I know your intention wasn’t to raise your voice against Papa. But no woman wants to see her husband disrespected," she added. "Now, go and apologize to Papa. Talk to him."