Chapter-3

The whole ride is silent. I stare out the car window, while he drives, drumming his fingers on the steering wheel. Maybe he's nervous about what my answer will be.

We park the car a little distance from the park and walk. It's late, and the moonlight is our only guide. Breaking the silence, I ask,

"What is your full name?"

I see the question mark on his face, but he answers, "Vivek Vardhan."

We reach the park, and I step up on a bench. Louder, I shout,

"Mr. Vivek Vardhan, can you lend me your surname for the rest of my life?"

He bursts into laughter, smiling, and yells even louder,

"Indeed!"

Our loud voices attract the watchman's attention, and he starts chasing us with a stick and torch. Vivek grabs my wrist, and I jump down from the bench as we run. Suddenly, it begins to drizzle.

The park, running, and this drizzle all feel oddly familiar. Maybe I'm overthinking, as the doctor warned me not to. Finally, we reach my home and part ways. I change into my comfy clothes and drift into sleep.

I wake up early, follow my morning routine, and enter the kitchen for the first time, unsure if I used to cook before. I make a cold coffee and sit on the couch, staring at the green grass in our garden. My mom emerges from her room.

"Queen Victoria, got up early today," she says sarcastically, disappearing into the pooja room. My best friends arrive surprisingly early. I sit unbothered. Just then my best friends arrived.

" I was wondering why there is a sudden cyclone, now i know " Deepu says.

" Why? " Innaya asks.

" You didn't got it yet. That's because she got up so early " she says pointing me.

And they both burst into laughter while taking seats beside me. It's normal for my mom to use sarcasm towards me and for these two to tease me; it's abnormal when they don't.

"I didn't sleep well; I kept having weird dreams all night," I say.

Innaya, the nutritionist, says, "The course of sleeping pills finished yesterday. It might be because of that. You'll get better eventually."

Deepu laughs, "Remember that dream of yours, where you were friends with a ghost and tried to help it?" Both of them laugh.

Innaya asks, "What is it about, this time?"

I recall yesterday's experience with Vivek but say, "It was some other boy, tall and fair, but his face was blurry. He hugged me."

Hearing Vivek's name, they forgot about the dream. And- Innaya demands, "Tell me, you turned him down, right?"

"Why did I even open my mouth?" I thought to myself, I don't know what's wrong between them and Vivek.

"Yes-" before i continue.

Deepu says"I know you, Siri." They both have a high-five in the air.

"I told him 'yes' for the marriage," I said.

They make faces, innaya hits her forehead. My mom comes with coffees, having overheard from the kitchen. Before they can say more, she asks, "Where are my little lady and Tikku?"

"The kids are with Aashiq," Innaya says.

"Is Gowtham still asleep?" My Mom asks.

"He's working, Ma! Busy these days," Deepu replies.

"They'll be here by lunchtime," Innaya adds. It's routine to have lunch here on weekends. I don't know if it was the same before too. My mom goes into the garden to water the plants.

The delivery guy rings the bell. I escape the room before they could ask anything else, to get the parcel and return. I took the parcel and wondering whose it is from .

It's from "VIVEK," I exclaim.

Their stares could bore holes into me. I open it: a phone, to replace the one I lost in the accident along with my memory. It rings immediately; he must have called after being informed. I escape into my room to answer it. We talk for a while, and then I hand the phone to my mom so Vivek's mom can talk. I sit near my friends, who seem to have cooled down a bit. I usually play with their kids, but since they aren't here yet, I help my friends.

My mom returns, handing me my phone and announcing, "Next Saturday, were fixing the date for the engagement. They didnt want an engagement, but I insisted-its my only daughters wedding." I do have a younger brother in the US, finishing his studies and gaining work experience. He calls daily and video calls once or twice a week.

Deepu is looking confused and possibly angry at me, says, "Ma, isnt it a bit too early?"

"You two are already mothers and still trying to delay her marriage," my mom retorts. They sigh.

In the afternoon, Aashiq and Gowtham came with the kids. I played with them. They love me a lot, they both are keep following me like chicks follow around their mother, calling maasi, maasi. We all had lunch together. It is quite fun. Mom shares about the engagement thing with them too, obviously they both are like big brothers to me (Aashiq is like 5years older than all of us and Gowtham is 2years apart from us, i sometimes wonder why did innaya married him) so its important for them to know right!

They made unpleasant facial expressions but haven't talked anything further about it. I too haven't had any Proper or important conversation with them. I don't remember my relationship with them anyways. But i feel guilty for what was the relationship that i forgot between the kids and me.