Chapter-8

The wait is finally over. I had been eagerly anticipating today for the past two weeks. As I combed my hair, I dialed Rahul, my best friend.

"Wow! Finally, Mr. Vivek Vardhan remembers me," Rahul answered, his voice dripping with mock surprise.

" Ok! OK!...," I said, giggling. " I didn't forgot you but i have been a little busy lately. Now come fast or else we're going to be late. And don't ask me where. I texted you last night. We're going to Siri's house to fix our marriage date."

Rahul chuckled. "When Aunty first told you about the marriage proposal with Siri, you didn't want to marry her. You didn't even want to go on a date with her. But now, someone seems to have fallen in love and isn't afraid of commitment anymore."

I blushed as he teased me, memories of my initial reluctance flashing through my mind.

"And you didn't even call me for the last two weeks," he continued. "It's so unlike you. Usually, you annoy me by calling three times a day."

It was true. I usually called him at least three times a day, even if I had nothing to talk about. Rahul had been my rock, my only friend after my brother passed away.

"Stop this and come fast," I said, trying to control my smile.

As I hung up, I felt a rush of excitement and nervousness. Today is the day everything is going to change.

We (my parents and rahul) arrived at Siri's house. I greeted everyone warmly, as did my parents, who immediately joined in the lively conversations with aunty ( siri's mom) and the other guests.

No Indian family gathering is complete without a random aunty exclaiming, " You have grown into fine man, Last time i saw you, you were so small," as she pinched my cheeks. I smiled awkwardly while everyone giggled.

"Why do these many people came as if the marriage is today itself", i muttered to Rahul, my eyes scanning for someone.

" I'll manage. You go ahead," Rahul whispered back. As expected, he knows me very well.

I slipped away, careful not to draw attention, and made my way towards her room. The excitement in my chest is evident as i quitely pushed the door open, feeling a bit like a theif in the night. Inside, Siri is in a sandalwood colored simple long lehenga and she is struggling to tie her blouse knots, her frustation visible as she muttered, " Where did all these people go suddenly? They were all around me this morning."

She hadn't noticed me yet. Her reflection in the mirror revealing her beautiful exposed stomach and her perfect curves. My breath hitched, Was she always this stunning, or was it just the occasion?

I cleared my throat softly to announce my presence. She turned around, her eyes widening in surprise and then softening into a warm smile.

"Can i help?" I offered, trying to keep my voice steady despite my racinh heart.

"Please," she said, turning her back to me. My fingerss brushed her skin as I tied the knots, and i could feel her shiver slightly under my touch. The moment felt charged, electric as if the room itself held its breath.

" There," I said, stepping back. She turned to face me, her eyes locking onto mine.

"Thankyou," she whispered, her voice barely audible.

For a moment, it was just the two of us, the world outside forgotten. Then, with a playful glint in her eyes, she said, "You know, you're supposed to be out there with the others."

"I know," I replied, a smile tugging at my lips. "But I think I like it better in here."

She laughed softly, the sound like the music to my ears. "Well, don't let them catch you," she teased.