Chapter - 16

Siri's POV                                                                                                                                                                                                            All I wanted was to go home, take a long, hot shower, and scrub this exhaustion off my body and mind. I could barely function.                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Gowtham was already dressed and ready for work, looking every bit the part of the sharp, no-nonsense businessman.                                                                                                                                        "Gowtham, can you drop me off at my place?"                                                                                                          I asked, trying to keep my voice polite, even though I felt like snapping. I didn't know if i was this irritable before.                                                                                                                                                                               Without even looking up from polishing his black shoes, he replied,                                                            "I've got an urgent meeting. If I drop you, I'll be late."                                                                                                            Before I could roll my eyes, Akul strolled into the living room. Gowtham barely gave him a glance."Akul, drop me at the office," Gowtham began, but Akul cut him off.                                                              "Seriously? No way."                                                                                                                        Unfazed, Gowtham continued, "And drop Siri at her place."                                                                                          To my surprise, Akul just shrugged. "Fine."---The car ride was tense. My phone was dead, my thoughts were scrambled, and the silence in the car was suffocating.                                                                                                                                                                                                                              I could hear the quiet rhythm of our breathing, and the atmosphere between the three of us felt off, like something unspoken was hanging in the air. None of this felt normal.                                                                                                                                                                                             As we approached Gowtham's office, I couldn't help but admire the building. It was immense—majestic even. The towering glass, sleek architecture... It screamed power and luxury.                                              Just as I was lost in my thoughts, Gowtham's voice snapped me back.                                                                                                                                           "You probably don't remember, but back in school, the three of us always sat together on field trips. Two seats, three kids, squished but inseparable. Even when you fought like cats and dogs, you took turns sitting on each other's laps during the rides."                                                                                                                                                                                                    I blinked, unsure how to respond. He looked straight into my eyes, his tone softer now.                                                                                                                                                "I just want you to know there were never any limits to our friendship back then. I hope it stays that way."                                                                                                                                                         Without waiting for a reply, he got out of the car and walked into his office. I wanted to argue, but I couldn't. I didn't know anything about this friendship he spoke of, or about myself for that matter.                                                                                                                                                                                                                      I slumped back in my seat, folding my arms, trying to process his words.                                                                                               "If you want to rant, just do it. That face you're making—,"                                                                                  Akul said, chuckling from the driver's seat.                                                                                                                                                                                                            "What face?"                                                                                                                                                                              I snapped, narrowing my eyes.                                                                                                                                                         He stuck out his tongue, crossed his eyes, and made a ridiculous face, mimicking me.                                                        It only irritated me further, and before I could stop myself, I threw a playful punch his way, my hand flailing toward him.                                                                                                                                                                 His reaction caught me off guard.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             He grabbed my wrist mid-air, pulling me closer. Close enough that I could feel his breath—warm, with a hint of coffee. I looked into his eyes which were already lookinhg into mine...                                                                                                                                                                                              "Don't look at me like that,"                                                                                                                                              he whispered, his voice low. His gaze dipped to my lips for a second before returning to my eyes.                                                                                                                                                                                                           "I could kiss you right now."                                                                                                                                                                         My heart raced, and the words left my mouth before I could stop them. "What?!"                                                                 He pulled away quickly, laughing it off. "Relax. I'm just kidding."                                                                                                       But the laugh didn't reach his eyes this time.                                                                                                                              The rest of the ride was silent.