chapter 31 "Date night surprise"

Ashley's POV:

Meg had dressed me in that dress she had brought me, I had to admit I felt nice, but at the same time I felt extremely vulnerable and exposed. I wasn't used to wearing something like this around wolves of all people, I felt like at any moment I could be attacked, nothing would protect me if I was bitten.

I shivered at the thought of being bit, sure I had experienced it before but it had to be one of the worst injuries as Ghost, i spent months in recovery.

Meg had given me a comfortable white shawl to keep me warm and more covered.

Honestly I was still getting used to having my face on full display, no one had said anything but I noticed the looks I got for my scars, especially my lip. 

It wasn't the worst out there, but it did deform my lip enough to be noticeable, and frankly I liked to cover it. But since everyone here had already seen it I decided it wasn't worth it, I'd just live with it.

Meg walked with me towards the garden, Markus trailing close and I'm sure Ruby was here somewhere.

They didn't want me making a run for it like before.

Meg was blabbing about something to do with romantic dates but I wasn't paying too much attention, I'd never actually been on a date before.

I just never had time.

Or interest honestly.

"Oh! Most importantly just remember to have fun, treat yourself, enjoy the food and drinks, I'm sure the Alpha wants to spoil you, I'm certain he's trying to get on your good side" Meg said with a soft giggle.

I just rolled my eyes with a smile "Meg, I appreciate the help but you shouldn't worry...this, everything, is new, I'll be fine, I'll eat, have small talk then go to bed, I'm exhausted...besides we uh-aren't that close yet and haven't exactly been seeing eye to eye"

It was true, but I still couldn't tell Meg the full extent of my situation, I still dreaded the look she'd give me.

I was only playing nice because I knew I was on their watch list after trying to run, and I needed time to think of a new plan, maybe this date I could squeeze something out of him.

It bothered me that a small part of myself was actually excited, I blamed it on the bond, I couldn't let myself get distracted.

•~~~~~~~~~~•~•~•~~~~~~~~~~•

We started approaching the gorgeous garden pavilion and I was genuinely surprised at how beautiful it was.

It was a pristine white with stained wood floors and beautifully carved details, string lights hung from each poster wrapping around the hexagon shape, creating an elegant and intimate lighting.

The steps led up to an intricate table setting, oak wood with a glass top, a lace tablecloth and white placemats, a gorgeous frosted glass vase with red roses displayed inside. Some already lit candles and the fanciest cutlery I've ever seen, it looked straight out of a romance novel and it surprised me.

It genuinely took my breath away that I didn't even notice when Damien walked up beside me.

"I take it from that look on your face you're delighted with what you're seeing?" His deep voice sent shivers down my spine, making me jump slightly as I snapped my gaze to him.

He was dressed in a black suit with a silver tie with dark grey swirls patterned through, his hair was styled and clean, his face shaved and neat, a smirk tugging at his lips as his eyes stared intensely back at me.