Chapter 1.

Sneaking Out

Kiyoko had always been drawn to the night. The way the city transformed under the cloak of darkness fascinated him—the shadows playing tricks on his eyes, the silence punctuated by distant sirens and the occasional howl of a stray dog. Tonight was no different, except that tonight, the urge to explore was stronger than ever. His parents had long since retired to their room, the low murmur of the television signalling the end of their day. Kiyoko waited, his heart pounding in his chest, until he was certain they were asleep. Slipping out of bed, he quietly dressed in dark clothes, hoping to blend into the night. He tiptoed to the window, lifting it just enough to slip through without a sound.

The city was alive in a different way at night. The tall buildings loomed like silent sentinels, their lights flickering like stars in a man-made sky. Kiyoko made his way down the fire escape, his feet moving with practiced ease. He'd done this before, sneaking out to feel the cool night air on his skin, to escape the suffocating confines of his apartment. But tonight felt different. There was a pull, a beckoning that he couldn't quite explain. He made his way to the edge of the city, where the concrete and steel gave way to the wild expanse of the forest. The trees stood tall and dark, their branches swaying gently in the breeze. Kiyoko paused at the tree line, hesitating for just a moment before stepping into the shadows.

The forest was alive with the sounds of nocturnal creatures. Leaves rustled underfoot, and the scent of pine filled the air. Kiyoko's senses were heightened, every sound amplified in the stillness. He ventured deeper, his curiosity driving him forward, deeper than he had ever gone before. It was then that he saw it—a pair of glowing eyes watching him from the underbrush. Kiyoko froze, his heart hammering in his chest. The eyes belonged to a large wolf, its fur a mix of silver and grey, shimmering in the moonlight. The wolf stared at him, its gaze piercing and intense. Kiyoko took a step back, his mind racing. What was a wolf doing so close to the city? Before he could react, the wolf lunged, its teeth sinking into his arm. Pain shot through him, and he cried out, trying to shake the animal off. But as quickly as it had attacked, the wolf released him and fled, disappearing into the forest.

Shaking and bewildered, Kiyoko clutched his wounded arm. Blood seeped through his fingers, but the pain was already fading, replaced by a strange numbness. He stumbled back towards the city, his mind a whirlwind of fear and confusion. When he finally reached his apartment, he climbed back through the window and collapsed onto his bed, exhaustion overtaking him. As he drifted into sleep, his last thoughts were of the wolf, its eyes, and the strange, almost familiar sensation that lingered in his mind.

<---------------------T I M E_S K I P----------------->

The next morning, Kiyoko woke to the sound of birds chirping outside his window. He groaned and sat up, the events of the previous night flooding back. He looked at his arm, remembering the searing pain of the wolf's bite. Slowly, he unwrapped the makeshift bandage he had tied around the wound before collapsing into bed. To his astonishment, the wound was completely healed. All that remained was a faint scar, a silvery line where the teeth had punctured his skin. Kiyoko muttered to himself, "How is this possible?"

"Kiyoko!" his mother called, her voice breaking his train of thought. Reality snapped back into focus. He quickly covered the scar with his sleeve and headed to the kitchen where his mother was preparing breakfast.

"Morning, Mom," he greeted her, trying to sound as normal as possible. "Good morning, Kiyoko. Sit down, breakfast is ready," she said, not noticing anything amiss. As he sat at the table, the memory of the wolf's eyes lingered in his mind. 

"You snuck out again, didn't you?" Her tone wasn't surprised, just resigned. Kiyoko nodded, unable to meet her gaze, and began to eat his cereal. 

"Do you have any idea how dangerous it is out there at night?" his mother continued, her voice a mix of concern and frustration. "The city is no place for a teenager to be wandering around, especially alone. What were you thinking?" 

Kiyoko kept his eyes on his cereal, the spoon clinking against the bowl as he ate. He didn't know how to explain the pull he felt, the urge that compelled him to sneak out. "I just needed some air," he mumbled, knowing it sounded weak.

His mother sighed, sitting down across from him. "You could have gotten hurt, Kiyoko. Or worse. And what's that on your arm?" She reached over and lifted his sleeve before he could pull away, revealing the faint scar. Her eyes widened. "What happened here?" 

Kiyoko hesitated, searching for a plausible explanation. "I tripped and fell," he lied, his heart pounding. "Caught my arm on a piece of broken glass."

His mother frowned, clearly not convinced but choosing not to press further. "You need to be more careful," she said softly. "This isn't just about getting fresh air. You're putting yourself at risk."

"I know, Mom," Kiyoko replied, trying to sound sincere. "I'm sorry. I won't do it again."

She gave him a long, searching look before nodding. "Alright. Just promise me you'll think twice before sneaking out again. I worry about you."

"I promise," Kiyoko said, feeling a pang of guilt for not being entirely truthful. He finished his breakfast in silence, his mother's concern weighing heavily on him. As he got up to leave, his mother called after him, "And Kiyoko, if something's bothering you, you can always talk to me. You know that, right?"

"I know, Mom. Thanks." He forced a smile before heading out the door, the weight of the night's events still pressing on his mind. 

After breakfast, Kiyoko grabbed his cyan-coloured bag and slung it over his shoulder. He slipped on his headphones, a motivational playlist filling his ears as he prepared for the day. Dressed in baggy navy blue sport trousers and his school sport's navy blue house shirt, he also wore his 2024 leavers jacket. The jacket itself was navy blue with white sleeves, the ends adorned with striped patterns of baby blue, white, and navy blue. On the back, under "2024 Leavers," was his nickname: Kiyoko.

He grabbed his skateboard and headed out, weaving through the large crowd of people on the busy city streets. The rhythmic push and glide of his skateboard felt liberating, the wind rushing past him as he maneuverer skilfully through the throng. The city was a blur of motion and sound, but with his music playing, Kiyoko felt a sense of clarity and purpose. As he approached the school gates, the events of the previous night felt like a distant dream, yet the scar on his arm was a constant reminder of the mystery that now shadowed his life.

4o