Chapter 4

Graduation

Years had passed, and Kiyoko was now 18, standing on the brink of adulthood. Thomas, a year older at 19, had become more than just a mentor; he was a trusted friend and confidant. Their bond, forged in the wild and strengthened through countless nights of running together, had grown unbreakable. Today, however, was a different kind of milestone: it was Kiyoko's graduation day. Kiyoko stood in front of the mirror, adjusting the cap on his head and smoothing out the wrinkles in his graduation gown. His reflection stared back at him, a mixture of excitement and nervousness in his eyes. This day marked the end of one journey and the beginning of another.

"Are you ready?" his mother called from the doorway, her eyes glistening with pride.Kiyoko nodded, turning to face her. "Yeah, I think so."

As they headed to the school, Kiyoko's mind wandered back to the countless nights spent in the forest, the lessons he'd learned, and the transformations he'd undergone. He remembered the first time he met Thomas, the fear and confusion giving way to understanding and acceptance. Those memories were as much a part of him as his human life.

At the school, the graduation ceremony was in full swing. Students in their caps and gowns milled about, chatting excitedly and taking pictures. Kiyoko spotted Thomas among the crowd, leaning casually against a tree, his eyes scanning the scene with a knowing smile.

"You made it," Thomas said as Kiyoko approached. "Wouldn't miss it for the world," Kiyoko replied, grinning.

They stood together in comfortable silence, watching as the ceremony began. Speeches were made, diplomas were handed out, and the air was filled with the promise of new beginnings. When Kiyoko's name was finally called, he walked across the stage, his heart pounding with pride and anticipation.

As he accepted his diploma, Kiyoko glanced out at the crowd. His mother was there, beaming with joy. And just beyond her, in the shadows of the trees, he could see the faint, glowing outline of a wolf, a silent reminder of the other world he belonged to.

After the ceremony, Kiyoko and Thomas slipped away from the crowd, making their way to their usual spot in the forest. The sun was setting, casting a golden glow over the trees and painting the sky in hues of orange and pink. "So, what's next?" Thomas asked, sitting on a fallen log.Kiyoko sat beside him, looking out at the horizon. "I don't know. College, maybe. But I can't ignore what I am. The forest, the wolf... it's all part of me."

Thomas nodded. "It's a balancing act. But remember, you're not alone. We've got each other, and the forest will always be here." Kiyoko smiled, feeling a sense of peace wash over him. "Thanks, Thomas. For everything."

Thomas clapped him on the back. "Anytime, Kiyoko. Anytime." As the stars began to twinkle in the sky, Kiyoko knew that his journey was far from over. There were still many adventures to be had, mysteries to uncover, and challenges to face. But with Thomas by his side and the spirit of the wolf within him, he felt ready for whatever the future held.

The night called to him, as it always had, and Kiyoko was ready to answer. With a final glance at the horizon, he embraced his dual nature, knowing that both the human and the wolf had a place in the world. And with that, he stepped forward into the next chapter of his life, eager to see where the path would lead.