Chapter 2.

Torment of Bullies

Kiyoko skated to a stop at the school gates, his music fading into the background as the reality of another school day set in. He shouldered his bag and walked towards the main building, trying to push away the unease from last night's events. As he entered the first class, a familiar wave of anxiety washed over him. Laughter and mockingly whispers greeted him, his classmates' eyes locked onto him as he stepped into the room.

"How lovely," he murmured under his breath, making his way to his assigned desk. His eyes fell on the surface, now marred with numerous threats and cruel comments scrawled in sharpie. "Loser," "Freak," and other hurtful words stared back at him, each one a reminder of the torment he faced daily. Kiyoko sat down, trying to ignore the hostile environment. He pulled out his notebook, attempting to focus on the upcoming lesson, but the whispers around him were relentless.

"Look, it's the night crawler," someone snickered from the back. "Bet he got lost in the dark again," another voice chimed in. Kiyoko clenched his fists under the desk, the anger and frustration bubbling inside him. He knew standing up for himself would only make things worse, but the urge to retaliate was strong. Taking a deep breath, he forced himself to remain calm, tuning out the taunts as best he could.

The teacher entered the room, and the chatter died down, but the atmosphere remained charged with hostility. As the lesson began, Kiyoko tried to concentrate, but his mind kept drifting back to the wolf, the bite, and the inexplicable healing of his wound. What had happened to him? At lunch, Kiyoko found his usual spot under a tree in the school courtyard, away from prying eyes and mocking voices. He unwrapped his sandwich, but his appetite was gone. The events of the previous night and the ongoing bullying weighed heavily on his mind.

He stared at the scar on his arm, tracing it with his finger. "What are you?" he whispered to himself, lost in thought. Just then, a shadow fell over him. Kiyoko looked up to see the school bullies, led by a tall, broad-shouldered boy named Hiroshi. Hiroshi had been tormenting Kiyoko for years, and today was no different.

"Hey, freak, talking to yourself now?" Hiroshi sneered, his cronies snickering behind him.

Kiyoko didn't respond, hoping they would get bored and leave him alone. But Hiroshi wasn't one to give up easily. "What's that on your arm?" Hiroshi grabbed Kiyoko's wrist, yanking up his sleeve to reveal the scar. "Got yourself a little tattoo, huh? Or did you fall on your face and cut yourself?"

Kiyoko pulled his arm away, glaring at Hiroshi. "It's none of your business." Hiroshi's expression darkened. "Watch your mouth, loser. You think you're tough now? Huh?"

Before Kiyoko could react, Hiroshi shoved him hard, causing him to stumble and fall. Laughter erupted from the group as Kiyoko picked himself up, his anger boiling over. "One day, you'll regret this," Kiyoko said quietly, his voice trembling with suppressed rage.

Hiroshi laughed louder. "Oh, I'm so scared. What are you gonna do, cry to your mommy?" The bell rang, signalling the end of lunch. Hiroshi and his gang walked away, still laughing and mocking Kiyoko. He dusted himself off, his heart pounding with anger and frustration.

As he made his way back to class, Kiyoko couldn't shake the feeling that something inside him was changing. The bite, the scar, the strange numbness. 

 The day dragged on, each class blending into the next as Kiyoko navigated the relentless bullying and whispers. By the time the last period rolled around, he was exhausted, both mentally and physically. He slipped into his seat, trying to ignore the glances and smirks from his classmates. The teacher, Mr. Tanaka, walked in and greeted the class with his usual enthusiasm. "Good afternoon, everyone. Today, we're going to talk about career options and what some of you might want to pursue after graduation."