CHAPTER 6: A best friend's love

"Laura was my girlfriend."

..........

I don't get it! How did that happen? Laura was my best friend's ex-girlfriend? How could it be?

IMPOSSIBLE!

It feels like, my whole world was torn apart. I don't know what to do. I don't know what to feel.

Should I get mad at Laura and Roy?

Should I fight for my feelings?

Should I just accept the truth and let go of her?

No! I can't do it! I love her and she's the only girl in the whole world that I ever loved this way. I can't just let go of her.

C'mon! Someone please tell me what to do!

..........

~ "Now Roy, tell me the truth. Tell me that this is a lie! Tell me this isn't the truth. C'mon Roy!"

~ "Victor, I'm telling you the truth. Laura was once mine."

~ "No! You're not telling me the truth! You're just trying to make me forget about her 'cause of that envy in your heart!"

~ "I am telling you the truth Victor! Laura was my girlfriend. I loved her before you do!"

..........

That day, it feels like I've lost a friend ... it's as if I lost my very best friend. Why did this happen? I felt so down ... so depressed.

My! My God! Why do you allow these things to happen?

It's painful!

It hurts!

..........

~ "Now Victor, do you remember the time when we first saw Laura and Alice? I was very nervous then. I never thought that I would see my ex-girlfriend in the university we're in. I met her when we were in highschool. But because of misunderstandings, we decided to let go. She was my girlfriend for almost 3 months. She's the only girl I've loved in my whole life. Don't worry Victor. I've moved on ... I got over her."

~ "But why didn't you tell it to me at once? Why did it seem like you and Laura didn't know each other? Why didn't you react violently when you saw her? WHY!? Tell me why Roy! TELL ME!"

~ "It's because we promised to forget everything about us - that, if ever we'll get the chance to see each other again, we won't feel anything ... we will go back to being strangers. The reason why I didn't tell it to you is that, I ... I ... I can't ... I can't let myself see your smile fade away. You see, from the moment we saw them, I already saw it in your eyes - that, you fell for her. I've already noticed how attracted you were to her. I've seen it in your smile. You smiled as if you were the happiest person on earth that day. I just can't let myself see you being sad. I can't do it ... I can't ... because you're my best friend."

..........

Tears fell down ... emotions ruled me ... my whole world stopped ...

Hearing those words from my best friend is something I won't forget. I can't imagine how much he cares for me ... even the smile in my face concerns him. I can't ask for more - he is indeed the best friend I ever had.

..........

~ "Roy ... I ... I don't know what to say. I ... I ... feel so guilty. I'm sorry. I'M SORRY ROY."

~ "There's another thing I like to tell you. Do you remember the day when I told you that I had to go to the dean's office? Truth is, I lied to you. I lied to you Victor. I didn't go there ... When I saw Laura coming, I decided to hide myself from her. I know that she would be talking to you. I don't wanna ruin that moment between the two of you. I know how much you love her. I've seen it when Laura kissed you. I was hiding at the back of a tree near you. I've seen how tight you hugged one another. I witnessed your confession to one another. I've seen how much you love her. "

~ "Oh Roy. I really feel so guilty. I'm sorry."

.........

I can't control myself ... I can't control the emotions I'm feeling. I really feel so guilty - so guilty about Roy. It feels like, I'm not the one who should feel tricked or something else. It was Roy who suffered the most. I know that he feels so bad about this. But even so, just to see me happy ... just to see me smile, he did everything he could. He even sacrificed his feelings for me.

I wanted to hug him ... to say how thankful I am for having him ... and how sorry I am for what happened. You understand how I feel, don't you?

..........

~ "Victor, Laura is all yours. Take care of her, okay buddy?"

~ "But Roy. I can't let myself see you suffer. Yeah, I love her but you are important to me. You're my best friend."

~ "No more 'buts' Victor. I'm letting her go. You can have her. If she won't be mine, at least I know that my best friend will take care of her. You know how much I trust you, right?"

~ "Buddy, I don't know what to say."

~ "Oh c'mon Victor. Don't mind me. I'll be alright. Laura and I have talked. We said our goodbyes to each other. So please, take care of her because she's the only girl I've loved."

..........

I hugged my best friend to let him feel how touched I was by what he did.

This feeling is more than enough for me to feel that I have a friend who cares ... a friend who's concerned ... and a friend who loves me so much.

I promised him that I will take care of Laura. I will love her forever. I'll never leave the girl that my best friend and I love so much. He will never regret what he did.