Chapter 16 - Try

After that breakthrough, the adjustment for both of them was not easy. It was still awkward, stiff, and tense with both of them constantly walking on eggshells, unsure of what they could or couldn't say. Jennie kept her distance, only speaking when necessary, while Lisa tried her best to be more mindful and respectful of Jennie's boundaries. The first few days were the hardest, with both of them trying to adjust to being in the same space again, and eventually, things started to feel a little less suffocating. A little less.

It was still a long way to go before they could be somewhat comfortable with each other, but at least the deafening silence was replaced by the occasional exchange of a few words here and there. That's a win for Lisa, any small progress felt like a huge accomplishment. But one thing was clear, the love and connection they once shared was now buried under layers and layers of pain, anger, and distrust. And it will never go beyond awkward housemates if Lisa doesn't find a way to make Jennie comfortable around her again.

After working hours every day, they continued to do what they agreed on and spent some time in the kitchen to help Lisa work on her fusion recipes. Jennie would often taste the new recipe firsthand and give her honest feedback. A few days back, it was just a plain comment as if she doesn't give a fuck, "It's good." or "Not bad.", and followed with asking if they could go home. Now, it's different... Well, the feedback is still blunt, but her tone is a bit softer, and stayed to finish the dish instead of leaving right away and wait for Lisa in her car.

"Hurry up, we're going somewhere after this," Jennie said as she leaned her chin on her palm while watching Lisa clear the kitchen counter.

It's the first time in months that Jennie started a conversation, and not just a curt response to Lisa's questions to start a small talk. Lisa, facing her back at Jennie, suddenly froze on the spot, biting her lip, and holding back her wide smile. The feeling of wanting to jump as a giddy teenager was so strong that her body trembled a little.

"It'll be faster if you help me," Lisa responded, glancing at Jennie with a thin smile that she barely managed to keep straight, not too wide, not too small, just right. Trying so hard not to look so excited about this small change that may or may not mean anything.

Jennie just nodded and stood up to grab a towel, silently helping Lisa clean up the kitchen. "Where are we going?" Lisa asked.

"Somewhere we can find your missing Korean soul," Jennie replied not looking at Lisa. "When was the Last time you ate authentic Korean food?"

Lisa shrugged, "Last month? Food stall by the street a few blocks from here."

Jennie raised her eyebrow, having a hunch about what kind of place Lisa was referring to, "What did you eat there?"

"Uhm, a few bottles of soju and beer?..." Lisa said sheepishly, avoiding eye contact. "Soju is authentic Korean yeah?" Lisa added quickly, trying to sound convincing. "And side dishes? Intestines, oh, grilled meat too! That...that's Korean."

Jennie just stared at Lisa in disbelief for a moment before shaking her head. "That's more like an authentic Korean bar snack for a night out."

"Still Korean though!" Lisa reasoned out, while Jennie just sighed and finished drying the last plate.

"You've been living here for months and you only ate those? What have you been eating, Lili?..." Hearing the nickname only Jennie called her for the first time in a very long, long while made Lisa's heart skip a beat, unable to comprehend how much she missed it. Jennie's words after that just echoed faintly, barely registering in her mind. "Hey, are you even listening?" Jennie snapped her fingers in front of Lisa's face, clearly disappointed and concerned.