During & After

Since the book store was only two blocks from her house, Kairi decided that it would make more sense to leave her car parked by her house and walk. After all she was still a New Yorker at heart and Kit Kat didn’t seem to mind the extra walking time.

When she arrived at Dope Words & Treats bookstore, she opened the door and was welcomed with the smell of baked goods, coffee and hot chocolate wafting in the air. She knew the barista, Orion was up to his antics with his delicious homemade baked goods. She wanted to grab a warm Blueberry Cake slice but she knew if she did, she would end up running her mouth with him.

She shook the distraction from her nose and headed straight to the Romance/Erotica section. She might not be getting any but at least she could read about characters like her going to pound-town.

After a few minutes, she found what she was looking for from her TBR list and made a bee line towards the register when Kit Kat stopped in the middle of the aisle and began whimpering. With a deep sigh, she knew her child was stalling because she didn’t walk him over to the dog section to pick a toy.

Kairi glanced out the store window to see if their was a change but it still looked like a beautiful day.

“Okay Kit Kat, one toy only and we have to hurry in the house after this.”

She knew he couldn’t respond like a human but the way his tail wagged and face brighten up, told her he understood.

A few sniffs later he finally settled on a toy. The irony of it was he picked a chocolate bar which cracked her up.

Thank God the bookstore wasn’t crowded like she knew the supermarkets were. She only had two people ahead of her to be rung up.

After paying for her stuff, she stepped outside to head home when she’s was almost knocked down to the ground. The man never looked back nor did he apologized as he kept running. She adjusted herself and made sure Kit Kat was okay and looked around to what was going on.

In the distance, behind her, the sky no longer looked clear and blue. Instead it began to illuminate a burnt orange color. What was even more strange, the clouds that were traveling were sparking. As if the clouds were floating fireworks.

At this point, people were beyond the stages of panic; it was now deep rooted fear mixed with chaos. It was something you would see in a comic book or maybe in California with all their brush fires. In NYC, she was used to dark smokey skies not the end is near.

She scooped Kit Kat in her arms and began walking full speed home, dodging people who didn’t know if they were coming or going. The mystery of the skies following were scaring her but she didn’t want Kit Kat to panic and jump out of her arms.

After bulldozing through people and almost knocking someones grandmother down she finally reached her co-op and not a minute sooner.

Kairi breathed a sigh of relief as she opened the door to her 1br grateful that whatever was going on outside she was nowhere near it. Kicking off her shoes at the door, she immediately headed to her makeshift bar and poured herself a three finger pour of Bulleit Bourbon to calm her nerves.

She took a long sip and let it slow burn down her throat as she turned her attention to the kitchen to decide what she was going to eat when Kit Kat began to bark non stop.

“Hush Kit Kat! Momma needs a moment.”

Kit Kat started running around her legs and barking even more which wasn’t like him. Something either had him spooked or he wanted her attention elsewhere.

“What is it Kit Kat?! Whats wrong?! We’re home now. Were safe! I need you to calm down!”

She tries to grab him but he runs out of her reach and into the bedroom.