Intrusive Whispers

“This is pointless!” Sadiq tosses his phone on the table, “All we keep seeing are people re-posting the same video, different angles of Ms. Fire & Ms. Shock” he complained.

Iris and the team sat around in Noah’s office for 2 hours looking for more signs of the superhumans on social media but only coming up with the same lead.

“No offense Iris, we might have to come up with a different strategy. Maybe tap Kairi’s phone and pin her location.” Jackson suggested.

Iris shook her head, “Nah that’s not going to work. I know her. She’s been ditched that phone and most likely encouraged the others to do the same.”

“What about Kairi’s family? You’re close with them right? You think she got in contact with them? Maybe we can used them as leverage to draw Kairi out of wherever she’s hiding” Terri proposed.

“Hell no! Our relationship might be over, but I would never cross the line of involving her parents and I know Kairi, she wouldn’t want them near any of this.”

“Iris we cant just sit here! They could of left the state or better yet left the country by now! We need to figure out a way to nab at least one of them!” Jackson urged.

Iris stood up, ready to reel the focus back in when the door opened and to everyone’s surprised Noah walks in.

“Noah?! What are you doing out of bed? You should be resting!” Iris flustered.

He closes the door behind him and walks towards Iris, “I was resting. I woke up and I was asking for you and Nurse Alavrez said you’ve been in a meeting in my office for the last 2 1/2 hours with 3 other individuals. Now, I know I have a slight concussion but I was able to put 2 & 2 together. I’m wondering why my friends are in here without me discussing a plan I thought we were doing together. Care to explain this to me Iris?”

Iris looked at Noah then back at the group. She had to make a quick decision. She couldn’t assume leadership then show weakness in front of a team she was trying to gain their trust and respect. Iris also didn’t want to hurt Noah but she knew there will always be some causalities in war.

She squared her shoulders back, “I can catch you up with whats going on and what we've accomplished so far. But I’m not going to explain anything to you. None of you would be here including you if my ex-best friend wasn’t the first superhuman. I don’t mind sharing the glory because that’s not what I seek, but this mission is mine and led by me. Got it?” she concluded firmly.

Noah was taken aback. In less than 24 hours he watched the woman he was starting to fall for become this cold power hungry vengeful person. The greed and obsessive need to strip Kairi from her powers was changing Iris right before his eyes.

He wanted to challenge her but at the same time, he was also curious at how far she would actually go to get their powers. Noah knew his success relied on her discovery.

“What’s it going to be Noah?” Iris waited impatiently.

Noah pulled out a chair and sat down, “Go ahead, fill me in.”

Iris smiled hard with loving eyes at Noah conceding. “Right. Currently we’re trying to find an opportunity that will give us access to the Mayor and in turn will give us access to some power. Since we don’t have superpowers we need as much human power and resources we can get when we face off with them.”

Noah was about to add his two cents when his phone went off with everyone else phone following suit. It was the familiar sound of an emergency alert. Usually its a text message but this time it was a video of the Mayor in a still frame waiting to be played.