CHAPTER ONE: SYBIL

Lucian’s hand came down on the round oak table. Crimson bled through his eyes, spreading to his cheeks. There was a slight tremble to his lips that I would’ve completely missed if I wasn’t looking at him with keen eyes. I knew I should look away, but I couldn’t help myself. There was something exciting and fascinating about his anger. Seriously, the thought should throw me off, but it didn’t.

“We will not let a woman lead the pack!” He boomed, his voice sending a small shiver down my spine. Since the council meeting started, all I could do was stare at him. Usually, I hated his guts, but something was different today. All I focused on was how the hard features of his face were formed. All my life, I never found him attractive. Then why today? Right now, I should be focusing on what he was saying, seeing as I was the one in the center of it, but no, my brain would rather focus on how his white shirt clung to his shoulders. He had undone the top two buttons, revealing smooth olive skin. I imagine running my fingers across it, just to feel how smooth and soft his skin was. I could even run my hands over his jet black hair that fell in ringlets around his face.

“According to the law, she’s the alpha.” I barely heard my father say. These past days had been hard on him, the entire pack rather, with the rogue attacks that took some lives of our pack members. And now The Council was hell bent on never letting me sit on the throne. What they failed to understand was that this was my family’s legacy, and if I had to fight for it, I was more than prepared. I wasn’t going to let a council of men belittle me because of my sex.

“A law that was made a couple of centuries ago?” Pierce asked. My eyes strayed to him, and strangely, I felt a brief twinge of disappointment that I had to look away from Lucian. Luckily, he was calm rather than the man sitting next to him, but his blue glare was intimidating enough to make me feel so tiny.

“It has been in practice, and it won’t be changed now,” my father declared with enough force to make these men bend on their knees. But the law didn’t allow him to use his alpha command on the council members. It was strictly forbidden. The sole purpose of The Council wasn’t to fold under an alpha's command, but to help lead the pack.

“Part of growth is seeing that things change. Your family has led this back for centuries, its time you give the throne to another.”

“So, this is what it’s about?” My father asked, glaring at Lucian, waiting for a response. Lucian shrugged, and again, I was torn between the need to stare at him or look away.

What the hell is wrong with you, Sybil? 

I chastised myself, because this wasn’t normal behaviour, not from me. Perhaps it was the alcohol I had last night that was affecting how my brain perceived things today. And truthfully, that was very unlikely, and that’s why I started questioning my sanity.

“You gave birth to two female children. If you had a male, things would be different.” I rolled my eyes at what Lucian said.

“She has alpha blood in her veins. The throne is hers according to birthright and the law. Things won’t change because you want them to. Since birth, my daughter trained for this.”

“But will she be able to take this pack to new heights like those who came before her?” I closed my eyes. One thing I hated above anything else was hearing these self entitled men talk about my ability to stand in the front line and lead the way. And to Pierce, it was his go to weapon.

“How will you know if you won't giver her a chance?” Derek Shaw asked, his eyes trained on Pierce. Derek was my future beta. He was here today in place of his father, who was still dealing with the rogue issue.

“I’m more that capable,” I said, my eyes on Pierce as well. The man raised his eyebrow, a smirk appearing on his face. I might hate Lucian, but I loathed Pierce. It felt like his mission was to break me. To make me feel like I’m nothing. To make me feel like I was incapable of doing many things.