Volume 1 Chapter 2 - A Peculiar Explanation

AYANOKOUJI POV

The grand beginning of our new school life was meant to begin with the entrance ceremony. Upon reaching the school, we bade Matsuo a final goodbye before exiting the limousine.

We naturally received a few strange stares, perhaps because everyone else had traveled via bus.

"It looks like we are already pretty special," Miharu said.

"Everyone else must be broke as hell," I spoke completely out of character, causing Miharu's head to swivel towards me, as well as gaining a few stares of contempt.

"Heh. By the way, what do you think Matsuo meant by calling this school unconventional?" She asked in a lower tone, deciding to move on before insulting the surrounding students any more.

"Hmm... All we really know is that the school is very generously funded by the government. I can't really think of a system to be cautious of that abides by laws and moral codes,"

"I guess we will find out soon enough."

We continued the walk to the school gates, and I took my time to observe our future classmates. Almost nobody at a first glance had an optimal physique for athleticism, except one student that stood out with a golden mane of hair.

***

The entrance ceremony included nothing worth remembering. Afterwards, we arrived at our class 1-D to begin the first day.

The classroom was already half full when we arrived, and we soon found our assigned seats.

"To think our seats were placed right next to each other," I said, casually surveying the rest of the class.

"And to think we get the best back row seats too? This almost isn't fair."

"Um, do you two perhaps know each other?" A girl with short brown hair approached us. Most people in the room were silently sitting at their desks, waiting for class to start. This girl seems to be brave for reaching out to us first.

"Yeah, we went to the same middle school," said Miharu, sending me a raised eyebrow that the girl seemed to notice.

"Ehh, that's so lucky! I don't think any of my friends from middle school made it," she said sadly. Why is she faking her emotions so much? Is this how people usually interact? I made eye contact again with Miharu.

"By the way, my name is Kushida Kikyou. I can't wait to get to know you guys," her expression was like a cute puppy that doesn't know about taxes and politics.

"Miharu Hasegawa."

"Ayanokouji Kiyotaka. Are all of these security cameras normal?" I asked naturally.

"Huh?"

Kushida, along with many of our classmates who were listening in on the conversation, began to look around in confusion. The room was fitted with at least four hidden security cameras.

Although Miharu and I are definitely used to constant surveillance, I didn't expect a highschool to have such measures in place.

"Oh, so nobody else noticed. This seems quite unconventional, doesn't it, Kiyo-kun?"

The room was gradually filling up, and students just entering were greeted by intense muttering as everyone was searching the ceiling in a frenzy.