Volume 2 Chapter 5 - Island Results

Miharu POV

The moonlight of the island's s seventh day, which was barely filtering through the tree branches of the surrounding forest, cast a glow that shimmered in the eyes of the boy in front of me.

We had crushed our adversaries in the island exam, leaving one final task for us to complete. As usual, the boy's face remained apathetic.

"Are you ready?" I asked.

In response, Kiyo-kun wordlessly placed a poisonous berry on his tongue.

"This isn't anything challenging. I should recover in a few days."

"Heh, I just didn't take you to be the kind of person to hurt themselves for a high school competition. The side effects of holly don't exactly sound pleasant."

"Hmm..." he contemplated the meaning of my words way more than I expected.

"It's probably not that deep. I think it's pretty fun to crush some kids that got a worse education than us."

It was incredibly feint, but his lips slightly curved upwards. I wouldn't have noticed anything if the moonlight wasn't illuminating his face.

"I suppose so. It should take a few hours to digest, so I should wait near the teacher's tent. You can go get some sleep if you want."

"...Yeah. Goodnight."

He definitely noticed the pause in my speech. I decided to walk away before he could say anything else. Why is my heart beating so fast?

***

The exam drew to a close the following morning, with all of the remaining students and teachers gathered on the beach, suffocating in an extremely tense atmosphere.

As part of my agreement with Ichinose, I allowed her to watch me as I nominated Ryuuen as the leader of Class C, before returning to my class, who were deeply confused by the state of the other classes.

The homeroom teacher of Class C stood in front of a completely empty area of sand, with not a single student turning up to role call on time. However, while that can be considered unusual, the state of Class A was alarming, with 36 students present. A few of them must've retired from exhaustion after the futile march through the forest set by Kiyo-kun.

The remaining students all appeared on the verge of collapse. Every student, except Katsuragi, had bedraggled hair, as well as dark lines under their eyes. Sleeping in the forest must've taken it's toll

Class B wasn't in a physically concerning state, but their typically vibrant atmosphere was impossible to detect. In fact, they barely spoke at all. With 35 students present, it was clear they were disheartened by their classmates' misfortunes and the inevitable loss of points that followed.

"Hey, Hasegawa-san, do you know where Ayanokouji-kun is?"

It was Matsushita who asked me this, with an expression betraying a hint of unease.

"He isn't here right now. But don't worry, nothing went wrong."

Suddenly, Ryuuen strutted out of the foliage and onto the sand next to his teacher. He obviously aimed to warrant a reaction from the remaining students, a goal that was unfortunately not fulfilled. His gaze swept the beach, attempting to challenge anyone looking his way.

Ichinose audibly let out a sigh of relief. After I had convinced her to place his name down as one of the leaders, his prolonged absence had likely been gnawing at her psyche.

"Why is that guy so late? What the hell happened in the exam?"

My classmates, who were mostly sheltered in the grove for the entirety of our time on the island, were completely out of sync with the events that had transpired.