Volume 2 Chapter 1 - The Cruise

After the midterms, June came and went without any major incidents. Our class managed to earn a grand total of 85 class points, signaling the beginning of our rise through the ranks towards Class A.

Everyone's attitude in classes had improved significantly, and we could sleep well at night knowing we wouldn't have to wake up to Ike or Yamauchi's annoying voices.

When it was announced that our holiday would begin with a fourteen-day cruise, it was assured that the class would find themselves in high spirits. Our classmates were excited to enjoy a luxurious holiday, while Miharu and I were eagerly awaiting a chance to clash with the other classes.

'I didn't expect to get sentimental, but this view is actually beautiful," Miharu said, admiring the serene waters of the Pacific Ocean. Standing on the front deck of a luxury cruiser, we found ourselves enraptured in the beauty of the natural world, a scene almost impossible to comprehend after years being trapped in an unchanging white landscape.

"I suppose."

"Ugh, at least pretend you care," she sighed. Although I struggled to find value in the gentle waves or the horizon, there was something about Miharu's hair fluttering in the breeze that made me feel more alive. Not that I would say that out loud.

"I think it's great that we can enjoy this view for two whole weeks without any unforseen situations occurring."

Miharu chuckled at my ironic statement. the chances of that happening were next to zero.

"What do you mean by that, Ayanokouji-kun?" Matsushita approached us, her gaze shifting away from the horizon to stare at me inquisitively. My foreshadowing must've been a little too obvious.

"Not much, Matsushita, but we're fairly certain there is more to this holiday than meets the eye."

While we had formed bonds with Hirata and many of our other classmates, Matsushita was by far the person we had grown closest to. It was to the point where we saw little reason to withhold any information from her, although this doesn't include any details about our past just yet.

"Hmm? Did you guys find anything to make you think this?" She continued to probe for details.

"Oh Matsushita, you're a smart girl. Do you remember the last time this school offered us luxuries with no strings attatched?" Miharu shook her head.

"I guess it sounds pretty shady when you put it like that... So something's gonna happen when we get to the island, huh?"

That's right, our destination is an island owned by the school. The school claimed that we will stay there for a few hours to swim on the beach, but our visit could very easily be much more eventful and drawn-out. As if on queue, an announcement began to play over the ship's loudspeakers.

"Attention to all students. Please make your way to the front deck. You will be able to see the island soon. This is a good time to take in some rather significant scenery."

"Hah, i bet it will be significant," Miharu said. Matsushita shook her head in amusement; there was little room left for doubt after the announcement's overtly strange wording.

As the island came into view just beyond the horizon, a crowd gathered on the deck to watch it's advancing figure. The three of us had the best view as we had been on the deck before the announcement, and a group of particularly domineering boys showed up to try take it from us.

"Hey, you're in the way. Move it, defects."

One of the boys bump into my shoulder in an attempt to push me off balance, but I didn't let myself move an inch.