10 - the trip | pt.5

-

3rd person

"Are you awake?" A voice said softly.

Itadori wearily opened his eyes to see Megumi sitting up, looking over him. He sat up as well, trying to adjust his eyes to the sun.

"What time is it?" Itadori winced his eyes. Megumi reached for his phone in his pocket.

"10 am."

"When did you wake up?" Itadori observed the cyan waves in front of them, swaying back and forth.

"Two hours ago."

"Why didn't you wake me up earlier?!"

"You looked peaceful sleeping, I didn't want to disrupt you," Megumi admitted.

"I wouldn't have minded being woken up earlier to talk to you," Itadori stated. Megumi seemed flustered and awkward throughout the conversation, avoiding eye contact by all means.

"Are you okay? You seem off." Itadori expressed his concern. He hesitated to respond trying to find the words to say it.

"Do you know that you sleep talk?" Megumi blurted out. Itadori was baffled, tilting his head to the side.

"No? Did I say something?" Itadori was praying he didn't say anything embarrassing out loud.

"I woke up a few times to you saying my name in your sleep." Megumi turned away, staring at the ground. Itadori's heart stopped for a second. Of course, I had to say something embarrassing!

"Shut up brats! How come you both never stop yapping at each other..." Sukuna irked, making an appearance below Itadori's eye. Without missing a beat, Itadori slapped the eye and mouth on his face, leaving a red mark.

"You shut up! I'm sorry about him..." Itadori apologised sincerely to Megumi, who was still resentful about Sukuna calling him Itadori a brat.

"I'll kill you both," Sukuna grumbled. Itadori covered Sukuna's eye and mouth until his cries died out and he disappeared off Itadori's face. They sat there for a while, staring out at the ocean. Itadori came closer to him and rested his head on his shoulder.

"I like it better when it's just us," He said, grabbing Megumi's hand.

"Me too, my love." He responded, squeezing his hand back and smiling.

- time skip

Suddenly, the trip was over. Megumi was relieved because he had had enough of Nobara dragging them around sightseeing like some weird tourist taking photos everywhere. He only went because Itadori convinced him - he was the only one along with Nobara who enjoyed sight-seeing. This was to an extreme extent, as Nobara had to get more storage on her phone due to the absurd quantity of photos she took.

All six of them sat on the train with the second years sitting next to each other facing the first years. It was around 5 pm, the late afternoon sky gave them something to look at when times were boring. They were all talking until Itadori asked: "Where's Gojo-sensei?"

"He should be here." Maki turned her head to look for him but he was nowhere to be seen.

"If he should be here, why didn't we see him hop on with us?" Megumi stated.

"Oh, that's right! He was looking at a vending machine while we were hopping on. I assumed he followed behind us?" Nobara remembered. She left out the part where she told Gojo that the vending machine had his favourite popsicle in it and that he should get one.