epilogue

-

It's over.

The long war with him is over.

Itadori spread his eyes over the barren landscape, buildings in shambles and on fire. Not much was left, but there was someone that had been missing for a while. One person he couldn't stop worrying about the entire time. Deep shades of liquid red stained his hands as he trudged the wasteland, looking for any sign of life. Until his shaky eyes stumbled across a figure curled up on the floor in the distance. He squinted his eyes, trying to determine whether or not it was just another dead body. But this wasn't any ordinary figure. Itadori used his remaining energy to sprint up to the person, a pool of blood sitting under them. His knees collapsed at the motionless figure's side as he realised who it was.

Megumi Fushiguro.

Itadori checked his pulse quickly before tears rolled down his cheek. Megumi was still alive, barely. Tears turned into waterfalls as he sobbed on to Megumi's side, the whole world going quiet.

"Gumi?" Itadori whispered in his ear between sobs. A minute later, Megumi moved his eyelids, making Itadori gasp.

"I'll get Shoko. Just stay still-"

"It's okay. I've already given up, my love," Megumi choked out, opening the dark blue eyes Itadori had been wanting to see again.  The words he said broke Itadori, making him want to die alongside him.

"But before, I want to give you this," Megumi gave a weak smile, moving his arm slowly to his pocket. Itadori still had his hands on his face, no sign of stopping the tears. Megumi pulled out a silver ring that looked like it was in perfect condition and opened up Itadori's face from his hands. He slid the ring on his wedding finger weakly.

"It's a promise ring. Or you can make it a wedding ring if you like," Megumi explained, feeling like he was drifting away. Itadori stopped his sobbing for a moment to admire the ring , then leaned in for what he knew was going to be their last kiss. Megumi's soft lips comforted him and for a second, it felt like everything was going to be alright. They pulled away after what felt like an eternity.

"Please don't die," Itadori begged, whispering to him. Megumi weakly held out his hand to caress his cheek, wiping some of the tears that had fallen out of his eyes.

They sat there, getting lost in each others eyes for the last time.

Itadori recognised the second that the pair of eyes that once gave him love, hope, purpose - turned lifeless.

-