[1] The Danger Begins (pt. 1)

"Did you guys see what Captain Man did yesterday?" Jasper asked excitedly, catching my attention.

"What did he do?" I asked, putting my pencil down and looking over at him.

"Can we focus on Algebra?" Charlotte scolded.

"There was a fire at a pet store and Captain Man ran inside right through the flames, and saved all the animals! And he didn't even get hurt!" Henry and I listened intently as our friend talked, paying no attention to Charlotte, who was still doing homework.

"Captain Man never gets hurt. He's a beast." Henry admired as he typed on his computer.

"You know, someday, when you guys are cleaning my swimming pool cause you failed this Algebra test, then flunked out of school. I hope you remember this moment, 'cause I will."

We all turn our heads to look at her with confusion written all over our faces.

"Hen, are you still looking for jobs?" I ask, taking a seat next to him on the couch and looking at his computer.

"Yes, I am." he grins. "And check it out. Here's a cool job I could do. Foot model." He exclaimed as he slammed his foot on the coffee table in front of us.

Charlotte turns her head to look at him with disgust while I grimace. "Disgusting. Look for something else."

He pouts and continues to type on his computer again.

You guys?" Jasper asks from the kitchen, "Can we go over the list for my birthday party?"

"Sure!" Henry said, turning away from his computer to look at the boy.

"No!" Charlotte and I said in unison, causing Henry to follow suit.

"You don't even know why we said no." I chuckle.

"I know. I just wanted to be included."

"You're a dork."

"Hey!" Henry gasps, acting like he was offended by my comment.

"But I invited 52 people. And nobody's texted me back yet." Jasper complained. "What does that mean?"

I get up from the couch and walk to the kitchen counter where Jasper's sitting, and take a seat next to him before taking his hand in mine. "Jasper, sweetie. It means they don't wanna die."

I hear Henry laugh before he says, "Yeah dude, it means they've been to your parties before."

"Oh c'mon. My parties aren't that bad."

"Not that bad!?" I asked, appalled.

"Christmas. Three years ago. 15 kids ended up in the hospital!"Charlotte exclaimed, trying to make Jasper understand how bad his parties actually are.

"Cause of your raw turkey," Henry added.

"It was turkey sushi." Jasper defended.

"That's not even a thing!" I exclaimed, flailing my arms around.

"A boy almost died!"Charlotte continued.

"ALMOST!" Jasper defended again, clearly losing the argument.

"Okay!" Henry shouted over Jasper, clearly being done with the conversation about raw turkey, and grabbed a bowl of pinecones that was sitting on the coffee table. "First person who helps me find an after-school job gets... this bowl of pinecones."

The bowl of pinecones seemed to excite no one in the room except for Jasper.

"Seriously?" I raise a brow at Henry, "The reward for finding you a job is pinecones?"