[23] Super volcano (pt.1)

I walked into school with my heart pounding in my chest. The nerves that had been swirling in my stomach since I woke up hadn't gone away. In fact, they'd gotten worse. Seeing Henry today was the last thing I wanted, and my plan was simple: avoid him at all costs.

As soon as I stepped through the doors, I spotted Oliver heading my way, waving a box in the air. "Y/N!" he called out, jogging up to me. "Buy a fruitbar."

"Not now, Oliver. I'm kind of in a rush," I muttered, trying to sidestep him, but of course, he stepped right back into my way.

"Come on, just one fruit bar? I'm raising money for my scout troop."

I sighed, my patience already wearing thin. "I really need to get going, Oliver."

But he was relentless, following me step-for-step as I tried to make my way to my locker. Between his persistence and my nerves about potentially seeing Henry, I could barely focus. I finally gave in, grabbing a crumpled dollar out of my pocket and exchanging it for the fruit bar.

"There. Happy?"

Oliver grinned even wider if that was possible. "Very!"

With the transaction finally over, I rushed toward my locker, hoping to get in and out as fast as possible. But as I got closer, I saw them. Henry and Charlotte, standing right by my locker, talking like it was the most normal thing in the world.

My heart dropped. Instinctively, I turned on my heel, ready to make a run for it. But before I could escape, Charlotte's voice cut through the air.

"Y/N! Hey, over here!"

I froze, mentally cursing myself. Slowly, I turned back around and forced a smile, walking toward them like everything was completely normal. "Morning," I muttered, my eyes flicking between the two of them.

"Morning!" Charlotte chirped, completely unaware of the suffocating awkwardness I felt. Henry mumbled a greeting too, but I barely registered it. All I could focus on was... his lips.

Why did I have to notice his lips?

Suddenly, all I could focus on was... his mouth. What was he saying?

"So... how was the kiss last night?" Henry asked casually.

My eyes widened. "I'm sorry?"

He blinked, looking slightly confused. "I asked if you did the math homework last night."

"Oh! Right! Yes! Yes, I did," I stammered, my face growing warm. Get it together, I thought, but every time he spoke, it was like his words were morphing into something about kissing. I could barely look at him without my mind playing tricks.

Charlotte, thankfully oblivious to the weirdness in my head, continued chatting as if nothing was wrong. But between Henry's lips, the way my heart wouldn't stop pounding, and the awkward tension that seemed to fill the space between us, I couldn't take it anymore. It was too much.

"I, uh... I've got to go. I'll see you guys later," I blurted out, barely giving them a chance to respond before turning on my heel and rushing off. The further I got from them, the easier it became to breathe.

Avoiding Henry all day was going to be harder than I thought.

~flashback~

I was lying in bed, just staring at the ceiling, too lost in thought to fall asleep. The house was quiet, the kind of silence that usually brought comfort, but tonight it felt suffocating. I turned over, burying my face into the pillow, trying to drown out my own thoughts.