[8] Tears of the Jolly Beetle (pt.1)

"Swellview has the best crime fighters of all," the vice mayor began, his voice booming through the speakers.

We were all gathered at Swellview City Hall for the award ceremony, watching as Henry and Ray were honored for their bravery in protecting the city. The hall was buzzing with excitement, the air filled with pride and anticipation.

"And so, my fellow Swellviewians," the vice mayor continued, "as Vice Mayor of this fine city, I present these medals of recognition for bravery and community service to our very own Captain Man and Kid Danger."

Piper, Charlotte, Jasper, and I applauded enthusiastically, our cheers blending with the rest of the crowd. I couldn't help but feel a swell of pride as I watched Henry step forward. He looked around, and when his eyes met mine, he gave me a warm smile that made my heart skip a beat.

We watched as a woman placed the medals on Ray and Henry. "Oh, and please accept this coupon for one free, medium, frozen yogurt," he added, handing it to Ray, who examined it with an unamused expression.

"Wow," Ray said with exaggerated enthusiasm.

"Each?" Henry asked, raising an eyebrow.

"No, you have to split the yogurt," the Vice Mayor replied, before taking a seat and allowing Ray to take the microphone.

"Thank you, Vice Mayor. And thank you, citizens of Swellview," Ray began, his voice confident.

Jasper leaned in close to me, whispering, "Why didn't Henry come to this?"

"Oh, he, uh... His goldfish had babies," I blurted out, instantly regretting the ridiculous excuse. It seemed Henry's habit of absurd excuses was rubbing off on me.

Piper looked at me, puzzled. "What goldfish?"

"I didn't know Henry had a goldfish," Jasper added, equally confused.

"Well, he does, and she was very pregnant," I said, elbowing Charlotte for backup.

"Yes, extremely pregnant," Charlotte chuckled nervously.

Jasper leaned in closer, whispering conspiratorially, "Do we know who the father is?"

"Jasper, hush," I hissed. "Kid Danger's about to go on."

"Kid Danger, you're up," Ray announced, stepping aside.

I clapped and cheered loudly, my voice ringing out above the crowd. Henry glanced at me, chuckling at my enthusiastic display.

"We love you, Kid Danger!" Piper screamed. "Kid Danger is so hot."

"Yeah, you don't wanna be saying that." Charlotte cringed.

Henry stepped up to the microphone, clearing his throat. "Even though I've only been Captain Man's sidekick for a short time, I really-"

But before he could continue, the music abruptly started playing, signaling the end of the ceremony. My eyebrows shot up in confusion.

"Is that it?" I asked, looking around as people began to rise from their seats.

"Let's go, Y/N," Charlotte said, standing in front of me and breaking my train of thought.

I nodded, following her out of the hall.

Charlotte was at the monitors, clicking through various screens while I stood next to her, idly scrolling on my phone. The quiet hum of the Man Cave was our only companion until a loud voice broke the silence.

"Gooch!"

Ray's shout echoed through the man cave as he and Henry emerged from the tubes.

"Guys, where's Gooch?" Ray demanded, his eyes scanning the room.