iv.

IT'S BEEN A FEW DAYS SINCE- I got a letter back from my dad, on the matter of me being a, 'Death Eater.' The same questions have been running through my head that just won't go away. Also, every day since mine and Ember's conversation, I have had the same fear. 

"Alastor Moody." The Professor says, snapping me out of my thoughts. He turns and writes on the board as her speaks, "Ex-Auror... Ministry malcontent... and your new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher." He says, throwing the chalk back down. "I am here because Dumbledore asked me. End of story, goodbye, the end. Any questions?" He asks us.

Everyone stay silent. "When it comes to the Dark Arts... I believe in a practical approach." He says. I watch as his eyes go from Harry to me. "But first, which of you can tell me how many Unforgivable Curses there are?" He asks us. "Three, sir." Hermione answers him. "And they are so named?" He asks, turning back to the board and writing on it once more. "Because they are unforgivable. The use of any one of them will-" She was telling but he cuts her off. "Will earn you a one way ticket to, Azkaban. Correct." He says.

"Now, the Ministry says you're too young to see what these curses do. I say different!" He says. "You need to know what you're up against! You need to be prepared." He says, turning around once again. "You need to find another place to put your chewing gum besides the underside of your desk, Mr. Finnigan!" He yells.

We all turn to look at the boy. He whispers something I could barely hear but Moody did, "And hear across classrooms!" He says, throwing the chalk at the boy. "So which curse shall we see first?" He asks us. "Weasley!" He picks on the red headed boy next to Harry. "Yes?" He asks, trembling. "Stand." Moody orders.

The boy does so, "Give us a curse." Professor Moody tells him. "Well... my dad did tell me about one." Ron tells him. "Hm?" Moody says, wanting to know what it is. "The Imperius Curse." Ron tells him. "Oh, yeah, your father would know all about that." Moody says, "Gave the Ministry quite a bit of grief a few years ago. Perhaps this will show you why." Moddy tells him.

Moody walks over and grabs a bug out of container. He uses a spell on the bug and it gets larger than it was. "Imperio!" I hear him say. After he uses the curse he starts moving the bug around by his wand, going from table to table. "Don't worry, she's completely harmless!" He reassures us. "If she bites... she's lethal." He adds.

I am laughing at Ron's face when the bug is moved over to Draco's. His face is priceless. I watch as Crabbe tries to get it off without hurting the boy or getting bit. "Talented, isn't she?" He asks us. "What should I have her do next? Jump our the window?" He asks us, and we all get quiet. "Drown herself?" He asks, moving the bug from the window to a bucket of water.

He brings her back over to him. I can tell how scared she is. "Scores of witches and wizards have claimed that they only did You-Know-Who's bidding under the influence of the Imperius Curse." He informs us. "But here's the rub: How do we sort out the liars?" "Another, another." He tells us. almost everyone's hand goes up. "Longbottom, is it?" He asks Neville.

After he gets picked I watch as Danielle watches her brother carefully. "Up." Moody tells the boy. "Professor Sprout tells me you have an aptitude for herbology." Moody states. "Th-there's the, um... The Cruciatus Curse." Neville tells him. "Correct, correct. Come, come." Moody tells the boy. "You too, Ms. Longbottom." He says, pointing at Danielle.

She's hesitant at first but follows with her brother. "The torture curse. Crucio!" He says, hexing the bug. The bug squeals in pain and I can tell how upset it is making Neville. I watch Danielle try to comfort her brother but it doesn't work much.  "Stop! It's bothering him!" I stand up and yell.

Moody looks at me, while he continues to do the curse. "Quite it!" I yell, reaching for my wand to knock his out of his hand. He stops as I get my wand out. Moody grabs the bug and brings her over to me, placing her on my desk. "Perhaps you could give us the last Unforgivable Curse, Miss Green." He tells me.

I swallow the lump in my throat and look him in his eyes. "Its the killing curse, sir. Hit with it and you're gone." I tell him. "Very good." He says and then points his wand at the bug. "Avada Kedavra!" After he says those words the bug is dead.

I take a shaky breath. "The Killing Curse." he repeats what I said. "Only one person is know to have survived it... and he's sitting in this room." Moody says, looking at Harry before walking over to him.

His face starts to twitch. "Polly-Juice." I whisper to myself as I watch him open his flask and take a drink.

I quickly tear a piece of parchment and write a note for Harry, for him to meet me after class. I throw it to him while Moody isn't looking. Harry reads the parchment and turns to me, nodding.

•*•

After class ended I was the last one out and when I got outside Harry was waiting, but with Ron and Hermione. "I'm so sorry but may I steal him for a second?" I ask the two. Harry looks at them and they nod to me. "Thank you." I say, grabbing the boy's arm before walking away from the other two.

"Moody's flask." I tell him. "I know what you're going to say, we are on the same wave." He tells me. "It's Polly-Juice." I tell him. He nods to me. "We have to tell someone." I tell him. "No ones going to believe us. We need evidence, Vallie." He tells me. "Then we will get evidence." I tell him.

He nods. "Can I ask you something?" He asks me. I furrow my brows. "What is it?" I ask. "Were you at the World Cup?" I sigh. I knew this was what he was going to ask. "How much are you genuinely going to believe me?" I ask him. "All the way if you look at me, in my eyes, and tell me you weren't." He tells me.

I stop and he does the same. "I wasn't at the World Cup, Harry. That day, I was sick, in bed all day." I tell him. He nods. "I knew it." He tells me. "Knew what?" I ask him confused. "That Arthur was full of it. I know you, Val." He tells me. Still staring into my eyes.

I smile at him. "Thank you, Harry." I tell him. Instead of saying anything Harry pulls me into a hug. "No need to, Vallie." He says. I laugh at the nickname he has gave me.

I thought it would be gone by the end of last year but I was wrong. Don't get me wrong I love my nickname that only he calls me, but it's a bit odd.

 •*•