01

"Awfa, guy? Where your babe?"

Daniel Oji sighed heavily. The music in the club was louder than ever and he was surrounded by men who meant more to him than most of those he shared the same blood with.

Emeka, who had asked the question, frowned. "No tell me sey she still dey follow dem chinko boys."

Daniel's silence was enough of an answer and his men scoffed. Most of them had come to the club with their babes. Daniel had asked his girlfriend of a year to come with him but as usual, she had a "date" with the men and women she so much loved and looked up to. Men and women she now spoke and acted like.

Daniel sighed again. "She said she was busy." It wasn't technically a lie. They did not have to know the full truth. "She'll come next time."

"Guy, there's no need to lie abeg." Another friend of his – Caleb – told him. "We all know that she's busy with those Korean people. We've told you time and time again to leave this girl but you never listen."

"She no dey rate you, my guy." Emeka said loudly in fluent pidgin. "You just dey zuzu since last year. If she wan go die with dose people, make she go abeg. Fish plenty for sea. You go move on."

Daniel just sipped his drink, wishing he had ordered something other than a coke. He wanted to stay sober. She was staying the night after all. He wondered if she'll finally allow him sleep with her. He was getting tired of her 'waiting until marriage' nonsense. He took another sip, listening as his friends and their women told him that he needed to man up and actually take the reins of the relationship before he lost the last shred of dignity he had.

"I didn't want to say anything, Daniel, but everyone's right." It was Seun, the most reserved one in the squad. "It's getting too much. It's like you're just a side fling and those men that don't even know her are the main thing. You should talk to her about it and I'm not asking you to do that your soft voice. Talk to her like a man and tell her to choose. No dey loose guard because of woman."

All Daniel could do was nod to show that he had heard all that they had said. He understood well too.

◄●►

Imelda "Eda" Samson turned away from the television screen when the front door went open. She smiled and pushed herself off the sofa when Daniel stepped into the house.

She walked over and stood on toes so she could peck his cheek. "Hey, babe."

He said nothing and made no move to return the kiss on her cheek. Her smile wobbled and she caught a whiff of alcohol. It was subtle but it was there. She immediately stepped away from him, feeling repulsive. "Daniel, did you drink?"

He ignored her and removed his shoes. He then walked into the living room and she followed him.

"Daniel, you said you weren't going to take even a sip of alcohol."

He sat on the sofa she had earlier occupied and she stood with her arms crossed. A Korean drama was playing on the TV and it made him angry. He took the remote and turned it off. She gasped. "Daniel, that was the last episode! I was almost done!"

He rose to his full height, towering inches above her frame. "That was the reason you didn't want to the club with me abi? You wanted to finish this yeye film."

Eda kept her arms crossed and steadily held his gaze. "It's not a yeye film. I have been talking about this drama's finale for days now and you didn't tell me you were going to the club until this evening when I arrived. How was I supposed to change my mind last minute? I don't even have the right outfit and you know I don't like clubs."